Deciding On An Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BCFinn, Dec 16, 2009.

1. BCFinn

BCFinn Member

I'm looking to bring an amp to college
    something small
    something that will give me enough tones//take pedals well
    will fit in my dorm room comfortably

I pretty much have it down to
    Fender Super Champ XD
    Tech 21 Trademark 30
    (Im sure I can get used ones for around 250)

I don't really know which is better being that the trademark is modeling but all analogue and SS..but the scxd is digital but a hybrid

So I really don't know which would make the better tones

Can Anyone help me decide?

2. NR2112

NR2112 Member

O man. It seems there are plenty of amps in that price/sound range. If your looking for an "all in one" then the superchamp would probably be good. Its a fender, and they have good stuff all around I think. I haev a fender SS princton chorus, and its a great bedroom player. If it had effects, it would be the bees knees!

Good Luck!

3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Blackheart? I think they make a "smaller" combo.

4. NR2112

NR2112 Member

mmm blackhart is a good choice. great tube feel and sound ..no effects though right?

5. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

If it's just for practice and not for playing out anywhere, I'd skip the amp altogether and get a little Pod XT or Vamp-2/3 or something along those lines with a decent set of headphones. You can do double duty with the headphones on your stereo, TV, computer, MP3 player, etc., too. Plus, while you've got headphones on, you won't be able to hear the rest of the animals in the house. Also, since most of the emulators have built-in effects, you won't have to worry about cords, batteries, clutter, etc.

But, if you must have an amp, there are a lot of little 5 watt tube-based beauties with 8" speakers out there in the $100- $150 range from Peavy, Kustom, Bugera, et al. Most of them have surprisingly delicious clean channels and questionable overdrive channels, but if you've got pedals to play with then the clean channel is the one to use anyway.

6. BCFinn

BCFinn Member

I played a V5 and that had a pretty nice tone..I saw a blackheart locally maybe I'll check it out..but as for the tech 21 nobody knows how it compares to the scxd..

is the scxd on the clean channel pure tube?