Decision time... (Vintage super reverb advice needed)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ohreallynow, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

Found a local seller with a 74 super reverb asking $850. Amp plays and sounds great but cosmetically has some ripped tolex missing tolex on bottom some saw dust in cabinet and some discoloring of cabinet wood. All original except 2 speakers have been replaced.

Any thoughts on price for the condition described would be great.

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

We need more info, Man! Pictures of the amp and gut shots are needed...

3. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

My go-to is a '74 SR in a 2x10 cab. Great amps! Offer $750 and see what happens?

4. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

They are firm at $850 and unfortunately I didn't take any pictures when I went to see it. The face of the amp and grill cloth were clean but the amp legs and some other areas were rusted.

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I wouldn't let cosmetic condition be a major factor in a purchase of an amp from the 70s. After all, it's a hand-wired Classic, and for less than a grand.

6. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

Tolex and a little rust shouldn't discourage you (as long as the chassis isn't too affected). What's more important is if the trannies are original and no irreversable mods have been done to it (save for blackfacing etc). Check to see if the blue molded caps are still there as well.......

7. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

Transformers look original, only 2/4 speakers are original though.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Check the cab out well, the baffles may warp (if you remove the speakers you can see there is actually very little wood in the baffle!)and the cab corners are not fingerjointed.. seen them come completely apart in shipping. But if good now and you don't drop off a truck should be fine!

9. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

'74 is too late to expect to see those in there. Radial blue or brown coupling caps and PVC wiring.

10. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

My friends' early '75 DR has them so that's wierd but I'll take your word for it. I just assumed since his has them they were still commonplace but apparently not. Come to think of it the ones in his amp could have been fitted after the fact during a routing check-up - I didn't really check it out that closely.....

11. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I'd say a '74 would probably have smurf turd caps in it. What kind of speakers are the originals and what kind are the replacements? Also do they have the other two originals and can they be repaired? More importantly does it have the MV? If it does I'd pass. Just know that it is possible to find non MV amps from those years in good condition with all original parts for that price.