Decision: Vibrolux Reverb, or Deluxe Reverb 2x10"

kevinabb

It's Fender 2x10" time! A Vibrolux Reverb always satisfies me, but this time I'm considering another option - a Deluxe converted to 2x10". I don't need 40 watts, I prefer lower weight and lower cost, and I can do all the mods myself.

But ... how will a DR 2x10" compare to a VR 2x10"? Assume identical speakers, stock iron & PTP circuits, same era (probably silverface). It'll be played mainly at low volume (i.e. around the house, or for recording clean/rhythm parts.) I have good dirt pedals, so no real need to crank the amp. And I have fine gig-volume amps for playing out

I just want that beautiful shimmer that I always get from a VR 2x10, but I wonder how a DR 2x10" will change the equation? More or less shimmer? Warmer? Crisper? And will it save me much (any?) weight, cash, maintenance, etc.?

Please chime in! I know that ultimately I'll end up with a DR AND a 1x12 VR AND a 2x10 VR ... but right now it's VR vs. DR 2x10.

Please share your experiences and opinions!

Kevin

kevinabb

The 2x10 DR mod has been discussed on several threads here, but usually in comparison to a stock 1x12 DR. And there are several companies that sell 2x10 DR baffles as a stock item. So I know it's not uncommon, and I can find lots of info on a 2x10 DR vs. 1x12 DR. I just haven't found a good discussion of 2x10 DR vs. 2x10 VR.

fullerplast

But ... how will a DR 2x10" compare to a VR 2x10"? Assume identical speakers, stock iron & PTP circuits, same era (probably silverface). It'll be played mainly at low volume (i.e. around the house, or for recording clean/rhythm parts.) I have good dirt pedals, so no real need to crank the amp. And I have fine gig-volume amps for playing out

I just want that beautiful shimmer that I always get from a VR 2x10, but I wonder how a DR 2x10" will change the equation? More or less shimmer? Warmer? Crisper? And will it save me much (any?) weight, cash, maintenance, etc.?

Please chime in! I know that ultimately I'll end up with a DR AND a 1x12 VR AND a 2x10 VR ... but right now it's VR vs. DR 2x10.

Please share your experiences and opinions!

Kevin
Got 'em both....I really like the 2x10 DR. If you like 10's, you probably will too. :AOKIt's pretty much exactly what you would think; kinda a mix of the two. 6V6 vs 6L6, VR a bit tighter and cleaner. The 2x10 DR is considerably bigger sounding than the 1x12, depending on speaker choices of course. Not really much weight advantage, and probably not much cost advantage unless you find a good SF deal on one or the other. You still need the new baffle and speakers so it may even be more expensive in the end. "Shimmer"...well it depends on the particular speakers and amps. My BFVR has a bit more than the 2x10 BFDR. If you have access to both, just plug the DR into the VR speakers to get an idea.

kevinabb

Thanks, Fullerplast. I'm borrowing a friend's '68 VR tonight, and should have access to a '65 DR this weekend. Hopefully I can do the experiemnt you suggested and figure it out that way.

This is going to end badly, I just know it - by the time I'm finished I'm going to need both a VR and a DR. How can it end any other way? :jo

cander328

I have both and I am warning you now they are very different and have their own vibe making it very hard to pick one over the other. You have been warned!!

Thanks, Fullerplast. I'm borrowing a friend's '68 VR tonight, and should have access to a '65 DR this weekend. Hopefully I can do the experiemnt you suggested and figure it out that way.

This is going to end badly, I just know it - by the time I'm finished I'm going to need both a VR and a DR. How can it end any other way? :jo

Brien

I am always partial to classic amps in their original configuration. I'm sure a 2-10 BFDR sounds great, but I just can't go there personally. I love both VRs and DRs, but if I had to pick, and headroom wasn't that important, I would pick the DR.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Allen probably has it, but a 2X10 with a good master volume would be a great grab and go gigging combo. A head is a good idea... you could plug into whatever you want (2X10, 1X12, etc.). I really love 2X12 cabs with Fender Blackface amps. Even a closed back sounds great.
Yes, you'll wind up with every option, or at least trying every option. I have. In the end, however, on a stage the Fender Blackface circuit sounds the same regardless of the speaker configuration. I have a great Super Reverb, but I can't play it out. It's too loud. I have thought about attenuation, those Weber doohickies that turn a speaker off, etc. I'll be watching this thread to see what suggestions come. In the end, it doesn't matter as much as you think it does. The trick is to get the right wattage for the stage volume you work with. No attenuators, no junk, just a great clean tone with a bit of push to it. Pedals to make different noises... enjoy!
Good luck, man!

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
YOu know, there is a 2 x 10 Victoria Victoriette for sale in the emporium at a smokin' price (its NOT mine). I have one, and my sense is that it would solve your problem fairly easily.

MikeNiteRail

Any updates? I've been thinking of going from 1x12 to 2x10 with my DRRI. I like tens a ton, but both my amps are 12's. I've also thought of doing a 2x10 ext cab and leaving the amp as is. However, I already have a 1x12 cab...so now I am back to getting a baffle and speakers for the DRRI.

dynac0mp

Nice thread... did anybody ever do the DRRI or BF/SF DR 2x10 combo? I'm wondering what this might sound like, esp. as in the Allen Amps Accomplice.

Jet Age Eric

Per Pedro58's suggestion, I had Steve at SDG Vintage build me a 6V6 Vibrolux-esque amp with master vol. and I'm running it through a Mojo cab with 2 Emi Copperheads. I am over the moon; love it even more than my beloved BF VR. -E

Nice thread... did anybody ever do the DRRI or BF/SF DR 2x10 combo? I'm wondering what this might sound like, esp. as in the Allen Amps Accomplice.

frank4001

I did the Deluxe Reverb 2x10 thing with emminence legends...The amp sounds fantastic. Sometime I team it with a BF Tremolux(like a Vibrolux without reverb) thats in a 1x15(Weber F150) combo cab. They are very close in volume but the T-Lux definitly has more headroom. The DR breaks up quickly and screams. The two together are great. The T-lux has a bigger bass responce as you would expect and the 5881's I have in the T-lux have a "rounder" tone. They both scream and sustain well with all that good feedbacky stuff when cranked. If I had to choose I think I'd g with more power rather than less but I could live with the DR just fine...There are always EV's , 6l6's and ss rectifiers to beef them up...

augur

I had one made by Vintage Sound Amps.
They actually use larger cabinet for their 22 (= Deluxe).

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I like a 2x10 better than a 1x12 generally (unless that 12 is a JBL D120). Fender did a blonde 2x10 cab for the Deluxe Reverb and I have one. It’s really great.

That said, I’d pick the VR. I just like 6L6’s better. They sound more full and bigger... and I think the break up is smoother (I’m talking old stock tubes btw).

Tommy_G

If you can have both a DR and VR in the same room at once. See if you can rig up the VR 2x10 speakers into the DR output.

I would also suggest dropping in a pair of JJ 6v6s into the VR... cabinet impedance should be doubled.. but i am extremely happy with my BMR with a JJ 6v6 pair.

harvey j

I have both and I am warning you now they are very different and have their own vibe making it very hard to pick one over the other. You have been warned!!
You will need 16 ohm or 4 ohm speakers to come out with 8 ohm load, with original iron.

Trending Topics