Decreasing noise in a H&K Rotosphere

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gillibi, Jul 3, 2006.

1. gillibi

gillibi Member

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of the noise in their Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere? I have Mk1 Roto and it sounds great but the noise issue is bothering me. Is there some magic 12AX7 that'll reduce the noise or maybe a different kind of tube? Please share any tube mods you have done to your Rotospheres.

Thanks!

2. drolling

drolling Member

What a great sounding Leslie sim it is..

A clean boost will help somewhat, by allowing you to roll back the pedal's output, which does bring down the noise floor a bit.

But it's really designed for placement in the buffered effects loop of a *modern* amp. I had to go back to my Korg G4 because of the racket the H&K made in front of my old blackface Fenders.:puh

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

drolling is correct. It wants line level. boosting the input signal helps some. I use a RGW Bad Bob boost.

4. gillibi

gillibi Member

Well I am running an AnalogMan Beano into it already but that doesn't help with the noise.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

That's because the Beano is a treble booster, which will only make the problem *worse*. Most noise resides in the treble region... so what are you doing with the Beano - boosting the noise!

Your best bet is to find something that can boost your signal to line level, and is low noise. Something like a Barber Launch Pad.

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah, I got rid of the noise... I traded it in for a Choralflange...Works for me.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Sell it and get the new version which was revised for less noise.

8. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I have a MK I Roto as well. Great sounding pedal, but like you I was bothered by the noise. Bottom line is that you can not get rid of the noise if you are running it into the front end of an amp. The only way I can use this pedal is to run it in an effects loop.

9. gillibi

gillibi Member

Well the noise is there even if the Beano is bypassed-I'm ok with the noise the Beano adds. The loud hiss the Roto makes irritates me though!

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Oh...I didn't read his post well enough.

I have the MkII and it hisses like an angry cat in a sand storm. :-/

11. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

I have the MkII and had the MkI, I don't find the new version any less noisy than the old version. But I don't find either of them that noisy anyway. That being said though, I don't use hi-gain amps (right now any how), and I have to use a loop box because of the tone sucking of the H&K. What I've done recently was to build a bybass box with a buffer/preamp built in to compensate for the noisy preamp in the H&K. It only kicks in when the bypass box is engaged and is a LOT less noisy than the one built in the H&K.
    But without such a box, I've found the best way to keep the noise to a minimum is to run the input level all the way up and turn the output down to compensate for the volume increase. That's really about all you can do.
    It's a shame really, that they can't seem to get it together for guitar players because it's the best thing that I've ever tried (in stompbox form) for a Leslie simulator. The only one I haven't been able to try has been the DLS.