1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated bass drive pedal vs Radial mix blender with guitar drives

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Junta, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Junta

Junta Member

i have two electric guitar distortions: amptweaker tight metal (not the bass version) and Analogman modded Boss DS-1. I also have 6 fuzz pedals some of which sound killer on bass.

I love the sound of distorted/overdriven bass, but do not want to give up the bottom end. I play to entertain myself, and record songs playing all bass, guitar and key parts, getting drums from EZ drummer.

I am looking at the following options:

1. Buy dark glass bk7 v2 pedal $CAD 450
    2. Buy Amptweaker tight metal jr bass version (has a wet/dry mix knob) at half the price of the bk7
    3. Buy Radial mix blender pedal so that I can use my existing drives and fuzzes on bass, mixed with the dry bass sound $CAD200
    4. Continue developing my style of having multiple bass parts in songs; one that is distorted and melodic, and one that is really low, dry and rhythmic (doing that locking with the kick drum thing, etc.). Case in point, the following song which is still a work in progress does NOT have that really deep second bass part (to provide the real bottom end), and I think it could benefit from that (working on it!)

What do you guys think? Any online sources to inform me?

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Rod likes this.
  2. somedude

somedude Member

Since I assume this means that you play at home, why not hook up a guitar amp and bass amp in parallel? The bass amp will maintain the lows while volume knobs on your bass and guitar amps provide all the blend you'll need. Smash all your effects/distortion/fuzz through the guitar amp knowing that your bass amp will stay consistent.

3. Junta

Junta Member

I have been thinking about plugging my bass in my Mesa v:25 (connected to a 2x12 with Vintage 30s). Yeah, why not get get tube distortion? Excellent idea! I already have an ABY pedal, so parallel hook up is not an issue.

Cheers!

Philly Watts likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Boss LS-2 would be a cheaper alternative for the Radial, that will do just what you had in mind using the Radial for and just as well, in the [A+B>>Bypass] setting, using either of the loops with no pedals connected to it as clean blend.

That's what I use at least with my dirt pedals.

Also lot of guitar pedals works excellently as dirt effects for bass, and keep the low end pretty well even without a blend option.

Mainly the Tech21 character analog guitar preamp emulation pedals that Joyo makes much cheaper clones of, as well as the Tech21 GT2 guitar preamp pedal that Behringer makes a much cheaper clone of.

Here's a demo of the Tech21 GT2 used as bass distortion from YouTube:

For your specific application though you might get good results by just copying your bass track and apply some VST dirt or overdriven amp effect on one of the tracks.

Also something I usually do myself when I record bass DI'ed for home recordings.

Use one track of my bass clean with some compression and EQ VST effect on it, then copying the same track and with VST effects apply EQ, cutting some of the low end, compression, overdriven guitar amp, and finally add a tiny bit of chorus.

Then mixing the two tracks with my overdriven track lower in the mix, also ever so slightly pan the two tracks to each side, to just add a little more depth and grind to the track's overall bass tone.

Here's a track I made where I utilize just that mixing technique (a drum, bells and synth track I programmed and then improvised some baritone guitar and bass over):

To comment on the suggestion on using bi-amping, it really is the superior of the different options mentioned for what you have in mind.

Actually sort of what the above mentioned approach using VSTs and two copied bass tracks aim at emulating, and something I do with my band rehearsal/live setup.

A solid state amp run clean and then a tube amp run overdriven and EQ'ed so that it has less bottom end and more top end.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    bluenova and Philly Watts like this.
  5. Philly Watts

Philly Watts Member

1. You can't go wrong with the Darkglass, that's for sure!

2. The blender option will work pretty well (radial or boss ls-2).

3. You may want to record a clean di signal, while simultaneously recording one of your distortion pedals in front of a SansAmp BDDI V2 and blend them later in your DAW.

The amp and cab sim does wonders for any distortion pedals (gets rid of hissy high end). Check out my video review of the new SansAmp. Cheers!

bluenova likes this.
  6. Philly Watts

Philly Watts Member

Glenn Fricker made a video about this recently. I love the results he got from it.