Dedicated sustain pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 85db, Jul 12, 2006.

1. 85db

85db Member

I often find myself craving more sustain from a strat. The compressors help but they alter tone and dynamics (that's what they're for anyway).

Are there any pedals out there that were DESIGNED to changed the tone very little while improving sustain? If not, perhaps I need a more transparent compressor.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The Pale Green Compressor from BJFE may be the ticket. I mainly use it to give some natural boost with sustain to a tube amp set clean, or to push an amp on the edge of breakup.

3. 85db

85db Member

The description of the Pale Green says "1. Fast attack, slow release - the most used setting by guitarists ever. Response has been optimized for the parts used".

I'm afraid a fast attack will kill the dynamics. I'd imagine a sustainer would be "slow attack, slow release" type of compressor... But then if I knew better I wouldn't ask :).

4. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

This is why I've kept the Barber Tone Press longer than any other pedal. It does not touch your attack (unless you dime all of the squish), but will give you silly sustain, even at modest settings.

As far as changing your tone, it will fatten it up a bit, which you may not want, and there is the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) rolloff of your highs, but it's the kind of thing that is easily dialed back in on your tone stack.

For natural pick attack and supernatural sustain, I doubt that there is anything that comes close.

5. 85db

85db Member

Ooooh... this pedal is very interesting indeed!

6. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Any pedal that increases sustain is going to compress your sound and reduce dynamics. That's how they work (trading dynamic range for longer note duration). You can make the sound a bit more transparent by not altering the attack of the note (by having the compressor wait a few msec before kicking in) and most compressors have an attack pot inside somewhere. The most transparent would be to get a studio style compressor where you can actually set the parameters, like the RNC 1/3 rack unit-great sound and flexibility. Or, you can get one of those Boss DS2 pedals that holds a note when you step on it and releases when you lift-no compression at all IIRC, some kind of sample and hold circuit...

8. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

Or you can get the Tone Press.

9. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Line 6 Tonecore Dr. Distorto pedal has a faux-sustainer thing that was great fun (similar to what the Boss DF-2 did). If you turn the gain down all the way, you can use it purely for sustain. When I have some throwaway money, I may pick one up!

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

I'm sure this wasn't mentioned yet, get a Tone Press.

:)