Dedicated Tuner Pedal Vs. Multi Effects Tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Little Hurricane, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Little Hurricane

Little Hurricane Member

Hi, I wanted to get a tuner pedal and see the boss TU-3 is $130 and other tuner pedals for a similar price, but for $100-150 I have seen listing for various multi-effect stomp boxes (like Zoom and Line 6s) that have a tuner function as well as all the other effects.

My question is, why would one want the dedicated tuner pedal when for 20 bucks extra you can get the same thing plus various other effects (regardless of how high quality those effects are)? Do dedicated tuners like the TU-3 tune more accurately? Thanks, I appreciate any help.

2. ColeW

ColeW Member

I've got both... Not on the same board though, I use my M13 tuner the most and I have a polytune for my acoustic when playing live. I did know a guy who had a M13 and a tuner pedal on the same board, and I never understood why...

3. mac jones

mac jones Member

Good points.

I have a TC Electronic Mini tuner 2. It's much better than anything i've used. It has true bypass (multi effects don't), is very quick, dedicated, and very, very bright. Best tuner i've ever used hands down. A joy.

I also have a Pitch Black. Also very good, bypass, etc.

The multi effects tuners are good, just not as good.

Having said all that, I'm presently just using the tuner in a MS50 Zoom, for the very reasons you bring up. I use all the other stuff. WTF :D

4. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

If you don't want to spring for the Boss tuner try the Behringer tuner. I bought mine for $25 a couple of years ago. It works fine for live use. Is the Boss pedal nicer? Hmmmm, you have a point on the multi-effects tuner. If I had one I would use the built-in tuner most likely. What I like about a tuner pedal is I use it to mute my signal, if I'm not using a volume pedal, between songs

5. Little Hurricane

Little Hurricane Member

I appreciate the responses guys, I already have a Zoom MS100BT and will probably just stick with its built-in tuner. You mention that the tuners are good but not as good, do you mean in speed or they just straight up won't tune the guitar as perfectly as a BOSS TU-3 or Korg Pitch Black?

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The accuracy of the built in tuners vary. One benefit of an external tuner is you can have a nice long delay/reverb trailing from whatever multi effects unit while you press on the tuner to mute/tune.
    With an integrated tuner, it would likely mute the entire signal.