Deep Blue Delay vs Carbon Copy.. big difference or same?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Anyone compare the two?

Noticeably different?

Both handle upstream dirt pedals?

2. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Bobby D used to use a CC & liked it. Although he likes the DBD better, He told me that they were fairly similar. As for me, I dig hell outta the CC.

3. mrfender

mrfender Gold Supporting Member

I compared the two and preferred the DBD.

4. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I owned both and sold the DBD. I felt like altered the dry signal.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

cc and did shouldn't be in the same sentence.

I own an old 650 mms did and it sounds way better than the cc, i mean, worlds apart.

I can't vouch for the new series thou

6. djy8131

djy8131 Member

I did an extensive side by side comparison and here is what I found. DB was the printed circuit version.
    - Deep Blue was brighter
    - Carbon copy sounded smoother to me
    - Deep blue had an artificial, breathing type noise in the repeats.

I ended up emailing Mad Professor about the noise but never heard back. It was subtle but there. I ended up keeping the Carbon Copy and buying a Memory Lane Jr instead.

7. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I like that the CC is darker.

8. other jackson

other jackson Member

If you are a delay junkie, I feel they are different enough to warrant owning both. The CC is dark and smokey. The DBD, while still possessing an "analog" feel, sounds brighter and clearer. I find the DBD is closer to the Montavillian Echo, which is also an amazing delay pedal.

9. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I like my ML JR much better than the CC or DBD (PCB version).

10. macmax77

Not derailing the thread but i have a question:

I own both a DBD (which will not go anywhere) and a big box DMM.

How would u guys compare the DMM with the D ML Jr?
    Is it worth it?

Can i get the modulation with the ML JR and a Chorus pedal?

I feel the DMM is the best sounding pedal ever but i am tired of the big size it brings with it.

11. scolfax

scolfax Member

I have a DBD - I use it in front of an amp that has no reverb or effects loop. It's perfect for adding a touch of ambience, almost reverb-like.

Recently I've replaced it with the Wet for that purpose, but I still think it's an excellent pedal.

12. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

For Subtle setting, I like the DBD HW better, i never tried the PCB version.

for a modulation type of sounds, i like the CC, since the DBD doesn't have that option.

i love using the DBD for long or slapback delays or even just for subtle reverb room or fattening the tone type of effects.

13. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

I've owned both. The CC is, as stated, warmer sounding. I find it more musical sounding, and if I was using one for anything other than a slapback, I'd go with the CC. I prefer the slapback on the DBD (PCD), as it's brighter, but it does color the dry tone some, and has almost a mechanical, swirling tail to the sound...I shoulda kept my Aqua Puss.:p

14. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Member

I love analog delays, but the CC darkened my overall tone too much...sold it pretty fast. I have not tried a DBD as of yet...

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Weird. I tried the DBD in the early Tourbox (3-4 years ago) and it was not brighter than my Memory Lane, which is pretty bright. In fact, in infinite repeat mode the delays became both less bright and less bassy at the same time, nicely getting out of the way of distortion. OTOH, I wouldn't have chosen it for slap-back, not enough attack on the note. I wonder if the early DBDs were different?

16. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Interesting, I was going to start this exact thread then I saw this one. I tried the CC and liked it but was wondering if the Deep Blue was better. The comments of it altering the dry tone and sounding artificial give me second thoughts about the DBD. It does sound good in demos though. Is the Memory Lane Jr really comparable to either? The fact that it's digital gives me pause. I miss having an analog delay-the fact that the CC is on the darker side is the only thing kind of holding me back, but it wasn't really a problem-it makes it sit back in the mix a little.

17. macmax77

well, all i know is that my 650 mms DBD sounds better than the CC and is world's apart.
    And i don't think it is bright, that might be inherent to the mass produced new DBD

18. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I've owned all three: CC, DBD, and the MLJR. The MLJR is to my ears far superior in every way: Pristine analog dry signal, tap tempo, and the best repeats of any delay I've ever owned (including the empress super delay).