Deep low hum when HARTMAN Flanger is engaged.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ManUBobby7, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

I just received my Hartman Flanger today. It has a deep low hum when engaged, when on by pass, the hum goes away. It is plugged into the wall with an 9V AC power adapter. There are 5 other plugs using the 6 plug adapter I have plugged into a standard wall plug.

Can anyone give me trouble shooting options to get rid of this low hum, it sounds like you're in an electric room filled with high voltage circuit breakers.

Thanks

2. Dashface

Dashface Member

Put it on its own adapter. It's either getting interference or it's not getting enough amps when everything is daisy-chained.

3. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I seem to have a similar kind of phenom with certain dirts and other effects (but not all) when playing in my bedroom- does not matter battery or adapter is used...there is low, loud hum/static. I go to my living room, all is much less pronounced (I have an A/C and computer plus other in the BR...)

4. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

Well I have a PedalTrain with an AC10 supply on its way, for now its plugged into the wall, sharing a wall outlet with 3 amps, a compressor and timeline.

As long as this isn't going to be an ongoing thing. I can put up with some noise but this sounds unnatural. I know it ticks abit with clocks etc, but has anyone experienced this electric hum?.......

5. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

Theo contacted me within the hour, said to try it with the battery ... boom, no hum. So at least the problem is isolated and with the right power supply should sound like the batteried version. Should fall into place when the AC10 comes in, I'll let you know, but because I'm temporarily using one of those 6-plug wall adapters, I'm guessing it's not stable or isolated enough.

Feels fun like a kid again to get some quality analog pedals - I hate racks.
    OH BTW this Hartman is KILLER. I mean ya I ran thru 15-20 police songs its great, but I woke up today and played the O'Jays "money money money money" , fiddled with the Empress Compressor for right ratio and blend, and 10 minutes later ... NAILED IT, studio quality 70's funk. Man this thing is useful!! I dont know about the Deluxe EM, but I wont be tempted to go there , this is perfectly rich and soulful enough for me - a great addition to a pedalboard!!

6. BoiceBox

BoiceBox Member

Sounds like an isolated power supply should do the trick. I don't now much about the power requirements of that flanger but make sure the power supply provides enough amperage for it as well.

7. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

My Hartman hums when powered on my the 12V on my PP2+. Theo emailed me to say it needs a regulated and isolated AC main. Switching to the 9V iso works great, even daisy chained. It takes ~ 30 mA. Also, mine's totally silent on 9V DC.

8. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

Mine is totally silent running on 9V from my PP2+. The Hartman is the BEST flanger I have ever heard.

9. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Truth!

10. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I am still in awe by the sound of my Hartman! Ive tried so many flangers only to be not totally satisfied until i got this! As soon as i.started playing it there was no doubt in my mind that this was a keeper for sure. I cant say enough good things about it. As of now, if i had to keep only one pedal, this would be it!

11. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

Thanks guys. So my AC10 should work right? - the consensus is isolate to 9V (even shared is OK) and you should be OK eh?

Yes this pedal is a keeper, so glad MolteraTx recommended it.

12. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

OK well now my Hartman Flanger is very quiet, it was definately a power isolation issue. With the hartman on 1 dedicated 9V outlet of the Cioks AC10, you can only hear an occasional radio frequency high end pitch that is quiet enough not to notice except when everything is silent, even then , it's a softer high frequency sound that isnt loud enough to be annoying - for me at least.

And ya, definately a great sounding pedal. MUCH more than just Police and Dark Side of the Moon on this pedal - MUCH more!!