Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers"- Best "Comeback" album of all-time?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by freedom's door, Apr 24, 2015.

1. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I've been listening to this record a lot lately, and remembering when it first came out, how much attention it got, and that i never expected it to be as good as it is. All these years later, it still holds up well for me, other than some of the dumb lyrics.

Are there any other "comeback" albums where the band totally exceeded expectations like DP did on this one?

2. Bankston

Bankston Member

Iron Maiden -- "Brave New World"

Bruce and H came back and the band recaptured their old magic while setting themselves on a new musical course that maintained the band's central aesthetic. It served as the launch point to take Maiden back to the top as one of the world's most beloved bands.

3. gpuma

gpuma Member

I've said it here before, but I like to compare Perfect Strangers to "In Rock".
    An incredible masterpiece, followed by an experimental album respectively "The house of Bluelight" and "Fireball". Too bad that the band collapsed before being able to fully develop those ideas and produce the cor-respective of "Machine Head".

4. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

I was going to say this, as well. Great album, and I'm not even that big of a Maiden fan.

5. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Totally agree that Perfect Strangers was an incredible 'comeback' album. I rank it up there with their best work. (Plus when I first started getting into hard rock music, PS was the new Deep Purple album at the time.)

I would also throw in Black Sabbath '13'. I know Bill isn't on it, but the songs are great. What's a Sabbath fan not to like?

6. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

BACK IN BLACK
    Did anybody ever expect AC/DC to recover from the loss of Bon Scott?
    You can argue whether Brian Johnson was better or not, but you can't argue the impact of that album.
    It was HUGE.

7. sanrico

sanrico Member

Agreed. This is an excellent album. Sounds like classic Maiden.

Some people say Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" is a great album. I have no interest in it, so I don't know.

My Bloody Valentine's "M.B.V." is such a satisfying comeback. Probably the greatest comeback album I can think of.

U2's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is considered by many as a comeback album, and I personally think it's as strong as anything they ever recorded this side of "Joshua Tree."

Metallica's "Death Magnetic" is a tremendous comeback from the CRAP they had been recording. Unfortunately, they went right back to Crapville, USA.

"Back in Black" was a comeback after Bon Scott died. And it's a killer album!

8. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I get what you are saying but... Back in Black was released only one year after Highway to Hell, and the band was still active. It's hard to really call it a comeback.

Perfect Strangers was after quite a lengthy hiatus, 8 or 9 years I think. All the members of Deep Purple started different groups and ultimately left all those bands to reform for the Perfect Strangers album.

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yup, Perfect Strangers was indeed a incredibly strong comeback album!

Love it sooooo much.

10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I saw the Perfect Strangers tour and they were great. Like they had never been away. Well, they did try to do Woman From Tokyo because it was requested backstage. They got as far as the bridge and it kind of fizzled so Gillan said, "Sorry, that's all we remember." and they went on to something else. Props for giving it a shot though. To this day I remember buying the album and the first time I heard the opening organ. I smiled.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

yes to all... but comeback can be a bit sticky to define...

how about the first QOTSA disc? Josh was done with Kyuss and he knocked it right out of the park with QOTSA...like he does every disc....and howzaboot John Paul Jones and Them Crooked Vultures?

12. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

This.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Ya know, it was a strong record (unlike everything else they released w/ Blackmore post-reunion). But, they were all lesser players than in their heyday, Gillan's scream fading...
    Ritchie's sound was much less articulate as were the solos: Glover/Blagona comped together every lead (save for the instrumental "Son of Alerick" B-side) - he just seemed to stop caring much around the "Straight Between the Eyes" era, though playing great in recent years.
    Was hoping for more... Same goes for tour... Sorry, but they're a better band w/ Morse as they push themselves; "Purpendicular" much stronger than "Perfect Stranger" to me.
    My fave comeback record is probably Black Sabbath's "Dehumanizer", though sure I'm in the minority. Just great to hear them be so tough and uncompromising in the era of bands like Pantera.
    Of course, YMMV & IMHO re: all the above.

14. Neer

Neer Member

UFO's Walk On Water was a great comeback record.

15. Lance

Lance Member

Allman Bros.

Both Hittin' the Note & Seven Turns.

16. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Just with a new singer, right?

:bonk

17. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

BACK IN BLACK

+2 this to me is the undisputed comeback of all time.

18. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Right. I guess it's just semantics. Black In Black is a great record, I just don't really consider it a 'comeback' record as AC/DC never really went away.

19. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Yeah, that's kind of like calling Face Dances a comeback record for the Who.
    Or Wake of the Flood a comeback album for the Dead.

20. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Some good moments on this for certain... Too bad the band tanked so quickly post-reunion.