Deep Purple: Purpendicular

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by soulohio, Jan 30, 2015.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

I am listening to this disc and wonder why this is not usually (to my knowledge) considered part on the Deep Purple canon.. it has great playing by Blackmore that showcases some Yngwie type leads, some fun-nk, some Mick Mars squeals and Richies iconic style all-in-one. The arrangements are tight, Lord sounds incredible as always and even shows some restraint and the bass player (Glover?) has some rocking walking bass lines. Ian Gillan sounds a bit forward compared to his earlier reverb-delay drenched days... but I like it.... sort of Mad Season production... dry and upfront...What sayeth thou of this disc?

2. mango

mango Member

Blackmore is not on that album,it's Steve Morse on guitar..IIRC it's his first album with DP.

3. xarkon

xarkon Member

Blackmore is not on Purpendicular. It is the first DP album with Steve Morse as "the banjo player."

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

I did not know Richie was not on that album... Morse sounds spectacular

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Wonderful record
    Among their very best

6. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Very very good record. Why many Deep Purple fans cannot embrace it I will never figure out.

7. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Monster grooves and brilliant playing all over that album.

8. mango

mango Member

Lots of DP fans,and I'll include myself in this,just find Purple isn't the same without Ritchie.
    Burn was the last really good Purple album to me,with a few cut from Stormbringer making the grade.
    His riffs were what many(maybe most )of the greatest Purple songs were based on IMO

I dig Steve Morse with The Dregs and solo and there is some great music with Morse in the band,but it's not full blown Purple too me.

Deep Mauve just doesn't have the same ring to it.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Fantastic record. Great music is great music. To hell with the canon. I also think Come Taste the Band is an excellent LP. The MK II stuff I can take or leave.

10. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

11. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

One of my favorite DP songs to be honest.

12. mango

mango Member

yeah , Ted is great tune

13. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

Which one did they re-do Speed King on? That was pretty killer with Morse too!

14. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Ted the Mechanic, Sometimes I feel like screaming, Rosa's Cantina....the whole album is fantastic.

15. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

They re-do Bloodsucker on the 2nd album with Morse - Abandon.

16. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Burn the last good Deep Purple record? Yeah it's fantastic, but I would consider Perfect Strangers (1984) as good as the rest of the 70s stuff.

17. mango

mango Member

Absolutely,albeit a little different,(especially Paice's drumming),I neglected to mention the 80's reunion,must be a mental block I have.
    I thought PS was terrific,House of Blue Light a little less so but still had great moments.Never quite got on with The Battle Rages On,but I don't own it.
    The only time I saw them live was the PS tour in 85.
    Near as I can figure,the thing that separates Blackmore Purple from the rest to me,is it seemed like at anytime, Ritchie could go off the rails,he was right on the edge 85% of the time and I love that.
    To me Steve,as great as he is,never induces the "Holy Fu** how did he hold onto that* response.
    Just me though,it's all good .

18. soulohio

soulohio Member

I never saw Ritchie in Deep Purple but have seen some clips. I agree, his live playing could go off the rails... probably due to the sound he he got with the Srat and those huge Marshall amps with the locomotive iron. I did see Steve Morse and the crew back in '92-'93 or so... and it was fun. I mean really fun. The visual cues between Lord and Steve, Paice and Steve with Glover just nailing down the bottom end were incredible...the guys were really rawking. If you are a Deep Purple fan and never got to see Morse with the lads I am sorry to inform you... you missed out.

19. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I agree on Burn being the last great Purple album.
    Stormbringer, Come Taste the Band, Perfect Strangers are all fine, but to me, don't have that edge, energy and most importantly that early 70s production that captured that band and their magic chemistry.
    Morse is a monster player....arguably a much better player than Blackmore ever was, but he doesn't do much for me...just another of those smooth shredders, who plays with lots of gain.