Deep Purple's Higway Star

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by paris is burnin, Feb 12, 2012.

1. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

Anybody gave this song a listen to lately?? I think this is where "Heavy Metal' got its start.The singer is way unbelivable(his range) and when's the last time you heard any Hammond Organ riffs in todays music.Then there's Mr Blackmore himselve.Put it all together and you have one of the best rock songs of all time :bounce Any love for the mighty Deep Purple

2. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

There were Metal songs way before 1972 when this tune came out. Black Sabbath's debut album was 1970, for instance.

Highway star is a great tune, but not the start of heavy metal.

3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Man, "Machine Head" was such a great album! And Ian Gillan's voice is phenomenal... he was Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar" in the 1969 album.

Just a note: Deep Purple formed before Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin... but I'm not sure when "Heavy Metal" actually started though! ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. BigDar

BigDar Member

If you can find a singer who can do it it's also a gas to play.

5. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

been trying to learn it for the past couple of months..
    It is funny.. I play mostly jazz on 14s where I dont have to bend.. On my rock guitar I have 10s and just cant get the bends.

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Purple and Sabbath both formed in 1968. Until their 1970 release "in Rock" Deep Purple wasn't all that heavy. ;)

None of this matters as both bands have great moments.

Highway Star is one of those tunes that makes me drive faster when I hear it in the car.

7. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Indeed. Blackmore himself has said that it was Led Zeppelin that inspired him and Lord to push the band in a heavier direction, which resulted in their excellent fourth studio album.

8. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Once those vocals kick in you can't help but mash the throttle

9. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I've been a Deep Purple fan since their album (The Book of Taliesin) was released, back in the day the called it "Hard Rock".

10. ShadowPlay

ShadowPlay Member

Great tune, and outstanding solo...

11. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

I saw them at the Chicago Stadium and, Jon Lord pushed his Hammond organ off the stage (one of those "you had to be there" shows).

12. billm408

billm408 Member

It always goes over well when we play it. It's a full on romp from start to finish!

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

We used to play it at our gigs in the late 70's. It rocked then. . .It rocks now!

Our keyboard/acoustic guitarist used to play an old Fender Rhodes and some kind of cheap Organ he sat on top of the Rhodes. . .It had a single row of keys and he used to play into an old Fender Bassman amp for his cranked organ sound.

14. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Easily one of my favorite songs, especially the Made in Japan version.

I still can't pick the ascending solo lick properly though.

15. BJW

BJW Member

I always wanted to learn this solo, but am to lazy to try. Someday I need to sit down and learn it, love it.

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Here's a good quote from Jon Lord re Heavy metal, from the recent Metal Evolution series:

“I would accept that we could be one of the Godfathers, but I defy the parenthood,” he says. “We weren’t the parents.”

/rick

17. rspencer

rspencer Member

In his autobiography, Gillan says that Ian Paice was responsible for "Highway Star" being the standard opener for the shows. Paice tended to play at a faster tempo live, and they had plans for "Highway Star" the be the show closer. But it's fast to start with, and Paice would play it faster...so fast that the rest of them couldn't keep up at the end of the show. So they opened with it, when everybody was fresh enough to try to keep up with the drummer. :) "Fireball" didn't make the set list often for similar reasons; it was so fast Gillan couldn't spit out the words fast enough.

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

It's one of "those" songs.

I wonder if there's a statistic about what song is on the radio when speeding tickets are given...

19. rbnum1fan

rbnum1fan Senior Member

i discovered this tune in 1982,and i STILL love the Harmonized solo Blackers laid down

20. drewl

drewl Member

Love it!
    Been playing this song since I was a teenager, and for some crazy reason I can sing it alot better and hit the high notes much easier now than when I was younger...?
    it don't make sense!