Deep/rich-sounding acoustic strings

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JeKo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. JeKo

JeKo Member

I just bought a set of Ernie Ball phosphor bronze strings (12-54) for my acoustic and I find them a bit too bright. Are there any other brands that make a little less bright sounding strings? I don't care for Elixirs either.

2. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I am happy with D'addario PB. {J 16}. Thomastic,which cost more,sound good and last months.

jens5 likes this.
  3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I highly recommend these: they are rich and full and mellow sounding, and very musical. They last me long enough to justify their cost (though I would still buy them if they didn't last as long, just for the sound and feel):

[​IMG]

Jacob Jackman likes this.
  4. Seorie

Seorie Member

DR Rares and Newtone Masterclass, I've used them for years on my Lowden and Bourgeois - their the only ones that I have found bring out the full tone these guitars are capable of.
    I have not tried the Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum Bronze yet though I've heard good reports.
    * String life is down to your body chemistry - sweat + oil and if you play after changing your automabil engin oil or eating a pizza without washing your hands, strings can last me one to tow years - neutral ph, non oily sweat.

you can hear the above mentioned strings that I use in these amateur recordings here -
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGeordieAdams

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I have two current faves for my Martin, which have what I would call a great mix of warm and bright, long-lasting too (for non-coated):

D'Angelico Bronze Wounds (Neil Young's string!- yes I looked up what he uses as I love the sound of his acoustics...) They are a bright bronze or 80/20 type, but IMO have the tone and longevity of a phosphor bronze- a warm string, for sure- still good volume

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze- a quality string with great tone, longevity and sustain

I use lights and these strings are not stiff- very comfy players all over the fingerboard- just the right tension between D'Ads (too loose) and Martins (too tight!)

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I don’t like Phosphor, always too bright and splashy. Try the John Pearse normal Bronze, they are nice. Also check out Martin ‘Silk and Steel’ strings.

7. TNO

TNO Member

Try some "vintage bronze". In addition to being less bright they also last a long time.

8. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

What brand,VINTAGE BRONZE ?

9. dazco

dazco Member

John Pearse are amazing. No coating or any odd non traditional design, yet somehow they are a step above every other traditional string i've ever used. "Rich" describes them perfectly. I DID find the phosphor didn't sound good on a larivee i had. But that was the only instance. Right now i'm really digging Pearse 80/20 big time. They really capture that old 70's Neil Young, James Taylor, Stills thing. But then they should, as back then there was no phosphor. They're a more recent offering that if i recall came out around the late 70's if i'm not mistaken. Anyways, just try Pearse. You really have to hear them.

10. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

Big John pearse strings fan here.

11. gear007

gear007 Member

Ditto Pearse.
    I swap them back and forth with daddarios.
    They have a softer feel to them than the D'adds.
    Perhaps a touch less volume right out of the pack as well.
    Nice warm tone though.

12. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I've found the new Dulop strings are much richer, and balanced (even frequencies) than other strings that I have used. The next "warmest/richest" sonding string I've used would be DR's.

13. MandolinFan

MandolinFan Member

I used D'Addario's Flat Top (FT) strings on my mandolins for a few years. I liked them so much I tried them on my acoustic guitars and they are amazing. Full, rich tone right out of the package. They are a ground-wound, phos-bronze string and sound very sweet and even tempered across the gauges.

Someone mentioned DR Rare. I have had good experience with them as far as playability and very nice tone, but they die fast. I have tried them a few times and this seems to be their worst aspect. They do sound great.

14. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

Just want to say big thanks to the people on this thread for reccomending John Pearse strings, I found this thread two days ago went out and bought some JP 80/20 Bronze and they have transformed my old Levin Goliath LM26, I don't know much about acoustic strings and I had been using Phosphor Bronze which gave this guitar too much of a bright zingy and tight feel/attack! I had alway presumed it was the guitar and that one day I would get another acoustic with a deeper richer looser sound and feel, well... this is that guitar now, I couldn't stop playing it last night and I was late for work this morning, and I up until now don't really play acoustic, I've never wanted to play this guitar so much.I can also hear the Neil Young sound in these strings.

PS has anyone compared the Daddario 80/20 Bronze to the John Pearse?

Bluedano1 likes this.
  15. Seorie

Seorie Member

wow a Levin Goliath LM26 my first 'good' steel string - 50 yrs ago o_O
    Pearse and the other smaller manufacturers tend to use better quality materials than the big corporations - so the sound better - that's
    happy pickinthey're selling point.

16. Tompski

It was my fathers he didn't use it so he gave it to me, he bought it in Ivor marantz in the west end of London in the early sixties, I have almost given up on this guitar a few times but so glad I didn't!

17. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I haven't YET, but am curious to try as I just ( for the first time) put John Pearse 80/20 on my aging Martin and think they sound and play wonderfully- I've done 3 acoustic duo gigs ( grab bag of R&R, Bluegrass, blues) and a bluegrass jam, last night. They are still holding up- I think I'm hard on strings, and don't expect any string to last more than a few weeks- I just want a great tone during that time!

My guitar has a well-balanced, full sound pretty much with any string- it is not a zingy/bright Dread as some- it has a dry, cut to it and the Pearse strings just help bring that out- great feel, maybe a little less tension than the PB?
    I've used Pearse and D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights for many years ( prefer the feel of the wrap on the Pearse strings) so I now can't help but be curious about the D'Addario 80/20's too....

Maybe next string change- but I may just want to stay happy with the Pearse Strings!

18. DRS

DRS Member

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze
    They area bit bright for the first few hours and then they mellow to a very rich tone.

19. Tompski

Richer than daddario EJ16 PB? Any more bass?

Bluedano1 likes this.