deep set neck tenon and dc just a gimmick?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by emjee, Oct 10, 2005.

1. emjee

emjee Member

does anyone know whether this new type of neck joint and "Direct coupling" pup mounting method is really sound lutherie or just a gimmick? I would especially be interested in
    folks who have made head to head comparison.

2. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Two things:
    1) the long tenon transfers more energy to the body, so in any case it is a "preferable" choice whenever possible IMHO
    2) there definitely is a change (note: I am not implying an improvement, just a differnece) if the pups are mounted directly to the body due to the fact that the body's vibrations are also picked up and contribute to "change" the percevied bass response. It might not be everybody's ticket, though...

All the above written IMVHO. YMMV, etc...

JJ

3. emjee

emjee Member

Thank you for the response, I very much appreciate the input.
    Can you or anyone give examples of any guitars that have the direct coupling? I saw on another thread that Les Pauls have a neck tenon that can be seen in the front pup cavity, so I guess the deep set neck tenon is becoming more common in higher end set necks, no? Thanks for the help!

Matt

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Have a look at the thread posted on the Guitars section.
    There's a coupla pics as well.
    And if those pics represent the "reald deal" then you know that you only want long-tenon Gibbos :rolleyes:

JJ

5. petrucci

petrucci Member

I have never been able to notice a diffrence in sound or anything from guitars with shorter necks tenons (PRS, driskill, gibson ect) and those with the extended tenons (mcnaught, heatley, jaros) in any way.

I have noticed a change in sound/tone with direct mounted pickups on every guitar that I have had with them. I woud recommend the direct mount pickups from my own experience/opinion.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Without a doubt, similar guitars with vs. without deep neck tenons exhibit very different qualities, especially in the area of sustain. Go to a shop with LP Stds. and Historics, for example, and play a few of each. You will find the Historics consistently sustain much better. The McNaught style direct mount also lends to amazing sustain, instantly noticable, even un-amped! So this is no gimmick, and as a secondary benefit, adds up to a vault-like build quality. I own several Historic/Custom LPs, sold all my other Gibsons, and own a much cherished McNaught.

7. CS'56

CS'56 Member

PRS does have a long neck tenon.

8. petrucci

petrucci Member

PRS does NOT have the long neck tenon. A PRS neck stops at the neck pickup while the extended neck tenon extends 18 or so inchs all the way to under the bridge.

I assure you Mark that this is common knowledge and you are wrong.

I really loath Mr. Roman, but here you can clearly see the diffrence between the two:

http://www.edroman.com/tech/neck_tenon.htm

9. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I got this confused with the other neck tenon thread.
    I wasn't aware of a Deep set neck tenon. It's common knowledge that people refer to a Historic Les Paul as having a long neck tenon. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106156
    It would be better to say that PRS guitars do have a long neck tenon. PRS does not use a "Deep Set" or Extended Tenon".

10. bRoWn-SoUnD

bRoWn-SoUnD Supporting Member

I own a few McNaughts , NO GIMMICKS HERE :rolleyes:

Play one bra.......... It will change your live :eek: