Deep Six or Cali76?

Dshaw77

My Deep Six just broke and I really enjoyed it, but I've heard really good things about the Cali76 deluxe. I'm not super good with compressors though, so I was wondering if I should just get another Deep Six since I know I really like it already and can dial it in easily, or if I should try upgrading? I'm not sure how long it'll take me to figure out how to dial it in though. I saw the regular compact Cali76, it has the less controls, so it looks easier to dial in, but does it sound as good as the deluxe? I'm also open to other suggestions!

lofibrian

Silver Supporting Member
I'll suggest the philosophers tone micro. The wampler ego comps. Duncan vise grip and barber tone press compact.

Love my deep six. But I picked up the pigtronix to try bc it has a charge pump to 18v, blend and a tone control. Sometimes the six can be the murky six...

The cali is nice. But I see more options below $200 that are refined and amazing sounding comps too.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Why don't you get the Cali76 Compact? It seems pretty intuitive for those of us who don't really need to know why a thing sounds good, but that just does.

7thString

I used to have a deep six. It had a really nice percussive 'snap' to the attack, and distorted really nicely when pushed (like the lead tone in I Want You (She's So Heavy)).
In terms of general compression tone, it was great, with the cali being a bit brighter / more 'hifi' sounding. Haven't tried the compact cali76 versions but am happy with my TX version. If I were to own another comp my first choices would be a BOSS CS-2, deep six and suhr koji. All are great and serve different sonic purposes to the cali76.

Dshaw77

I'll suggest the philosophers tone micro. The wampler ego comps. Duncan vise grip and barber tone press compact.

Love my deep six. But I picked up the pigtronix to try bc it has a charge pump to 18v, blend and a tone control. Sometimes the six can be the murky six...

The cali is nice. But I see more options below $200 that are refined and amazing sounding comps too.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely check those out, cuz the cali76 is pretty expensive
How did the Deep Six break?

I hope mine doesnt bite the bullet

I'm not exactly sure how it broke, but every time I plug in the board the light just flickers and fades away. It's survived two - five gigs a week for a year and a half. I just assumed it got too much beer spilt on it and died of old age lol.
Have You Contacted Walrus about your deep six?

I didn't think they would help me since it wasn't new, but I'll try to reach out to them. Thanks for the advice
I used to have a deep six. It had a really nice percussive 'snap' to the attack, and distorted really nicely when pushed (like the lead tone in I Want You (She's So Heavy)).
In terms of general compression tone, it was great, with the cali being a bit brighter / more 'hifi' sounding. Haven't tried the compact cali76 versions but am happy with my TX version. If I were to own another comp my first choices would be a BOSS CS-2, deep six and suhr koji. All are great and serve different sonic purposes to the cali76.

I was mostly looking at the TX versions anyways, thanks for the input!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom