Defeating the "Boss sound" (GT-1)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mertay, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mertay

mertay Member

Friend of mine who has some very nice amps/pedals got a gt-1 a few months ago for quick record on practicing.

I visited him yesterday and he said he almost never used it so I offered to take it and adjust some sounds at home. As he's so used to playing real amps, I'm pretty sure the filtered overall sound is the problem for him.

Compared it to my setup, checked with analyzers etc... try this; go to "mast", adjust mid freq. to 10khz-mid. Q to 2-mid gain to 20. You can also decrease highgain by -2 or -3 if you like. Don't forget to adjust "out" to line/phones.

This softens the filtering effect to the sound but keep in mind you'll have to adjust your current presets like lowering presence on amps or tone on pedals.

BrickWall and BuleriaChk like this.
  2. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

What "filtering" effect is this? Is this a massive boost at 10k? What are you listening through? What problem does this solve?

rsm likes this.
  3. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

As so often on cheaper modelers, a lot is up to the cab section. I even got quite decent results out of my rusty GT-10 when running it through some IRs instead of the onboard cabs. Unfortunately I never recorded it and now the dreaded GT seems to be seriously broken since 2 weeks (most likely the transformer), so I can't post any examples, but you could as well give that a try.

4. mertay

mertay Member

Its is a default high-cut on every cab. sim. which gives the boss processor its overall character when compared to other processors, I've seen many members identify this as the "boss sound".

For those familiar to mixing, such sound is recognizable as its such a normal thing cutting freq.s when mixing. This also helps easy eq'ing for users when say they're adjusting amp eq's of the boss to match a backing track. But like my friend, some are not into it.

Yes its a massive boost on the 10khz but keep in mind this freq. range is already non-existent on the default cab.s, its there to soften such strong filtering letting more harmonics pass. Also, if there weren't any filtering, such highend boost wouldn't be controllable simply with the amp eq's as this also suggest the filtering is there for those who can't use an analyzer.

I adjusted using studio monitors (adam p11a), also used my analog pedals to check if the boost was too much or not (but sure this is just a reference setting, its ok for users to tweak to their liking).

To note; this is strictly for computer use (using cab.s in the gt-1), for those connecting the processor to their amps (for stricktly dist., modulation etc. fx) no need to make these eq adjustments.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Tmidiman, DigiPOV and LordByron like this.
  5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Buy something different? I don't usually have a problem with digital gear whose "signature" tone involves cutting through a mix :anon

6. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Well, I always thought of the Boss DI stuff as it being "boxy". Does that go well in a mix? Yes, rather often even, as it seems. But it's never been too much fun playing, at least for me. I wish there had been something like the Pangaea back when I had to use the GT-10 for DI jobs (mainly musical stuff).

Tmidiman, LordByron and JiveTurkey like this.
  7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Agreed but a GT1 is current gen tech for Boss. I get not liking it but I'd just get something else that has a more favorable to me tone signature.

8. mertay

mertay Member

I haven't tested the helix software yet, but from reviews I remember on its cab. menu there is a high-cut knob. Its basically the same with the boss, only boss isn't giving the option to disable or adjust that "activated knob" and this is me trying to find an alternate solution for those who already bought and using it.

9. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

There's really not that much in the same price/feature category. Zoom is just as "meh" or simply not laid out as well. Don't know about Digitech.
    I'm actually thinking about a GT-1 as a gigbag solution for sessions, hotel rooms and what not. Got a Zoom G3 but the dirt sounds are not my COT at all (to put it mildly), the audio interface part is lousy and the headphone out not strong enough.

Jim234 and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. tocino

tocino Member

What is the gain in db when you have it set to 20?

11. mertay

mertay Member

Sorry I'd have to return to the analyzer to confirm that, maybe its stated in the manual but usually 1 equals 1db on such devices if I had to guess.

12. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Nah, from what I remember the scalings in the global GT EQs don't equal dBs. But my memory might serve me wrong.
    20dB of boost would certainly be a whole lot, regardless of the range being quite dimmed by the cab sim before...

13. tocino

tocino Member

I just tried this out on a POD. I usually have a low pass set at 5k-7k to tame the fizz, but adding some back centered at 10k brings back some nice chime and clarity to some amp/cabs like Voxes where it was missing. On other amp/cab combos like some Fenders it brings in some harshness. Thanks for the tip. It's not a frequency that I would have explored, but I'm finding it to be a useful tool.

Rocco Crocco, Tmidiman and mertay like this.
  14. mertay

mertay Member

...So unexpectedly my friend offered a very good deal to me and I own a gt-1 now :) been tweaking it for a few days now whenever I had the time, so far;

Mast. section low/high gain; By ear I thought these were shelve-eq's but when analyzed turned out to be the cut-off filters I "felt" when I made this topic. If anyone can't get that glassy sound the high-gain is the knob you'd want to increase, but for high gain-od or dist. my tip on the first message still applies best cause one don't wants the sound to be ear-piercing. For what they offer, the cab.s are balanced well enough not to increase these knobs too much infact I can't see much need for the low-gain knob cause it gets rid of the useless sub-freq.s default (and as we know, heavy sounds are all about the mid.s not bass...)

Natural clean amp; If you're like me jumping from one backing track to another on youtube or somewhere else, this amp is perfect for tone balancing. I use it with the 2x12 cab and lower some mid.s from the mast. section(q-1, freq. 2.00khz, mid gain around -10), the eq's on the amp are selected wisely for mixing to any backing track. My analog pedals provide most of the od/dist with this amp.

Tone Modify; I bet this is underrated among gt-1 users but it shouldn't be :) have a bright sounding guitar and the dist. isn't fluid on the gt-1? use resonator 3 setting pre-distortion (or amp). EQ'ing takes too much time as you're not experienced enough yet? place it after the amp and check settings like tight or presence if you feel your tone is muddy etc...when checking, I thought why Boss hasn't added this to their FB-2 pedal as a waza upgrade? anyway, check it out.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    +NRG and yeky83 like this.
  15. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

i have a really good result cutting off the 500khz with Q to 0 in the master section and lowering the mid gain

mertay likes this.
  16. mertay

mertay Member

If anyones interested the flattest response I got was from the 4x10 cab. with the natural amp with minimal eq'ing on the amp (no post eq'ing). This flat is to the analyzer, to the ear immediately one would like to lower mid.s but I guess it would be a good start if someone wants to create tones from scratch.

I still prefer to use my pedals as the more clarity and balanced mid.s I got the more I'm hearing the digitalness of the distortion/drives. Some pedals are really good though if their gain is not cranked. Warm od, blues od, boosters and the distortion pedal would be what I'd try first if I'm using the gt-1 to the input of a clean setuped amp.

Also a quick tip, to make a reverb/delay mono (might be preferred by some) either place the reverb before the amp or (if the amp is distorted) place a comp. pedal (setuped to not doing much) at the end of the chain.

17. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

FWIW I like the combination of the 4x10 cab with the MS1959I+II. Seems to work pretty well for me.

mertay likes this.
  18. +NRG

+NRG Member

Tone Modify is the 'easy button' for the GT-1!

mertay likes this.
  19. mertay

mertay Member

Nice find! I only lowered the 2khz by -5 and added some highs to get a slightly more modern sound, just a personal touch.

20. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

I used a GT10 and a GT100 for many years. I have gotten numerous compliments on my live tone. Kind of funny because I get less compliments since I moved to AX8/Helix.

pomfret and rsm like this.