Defeating the "Boss sound" (GT-1)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mertay, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GearGeek

GearGeek Member

This is a great thread!!! Lots of good tips. I am a little confused though... Is there a global eq for all patches or is the master setting a per patch setting???

Thanks in advance for all the info!!!

mertay likes this.
  2. mertay

mertay Member

Per patch, must be adjusted the same for every preset.

On the side note, after a lot of trial and error I've been using the JC120 amp with my analog pedals. Might be one of the least compressed amps and the drive character suits the pedals easier compared to other amps. I might have eq'd it a bit odd but didn't need any post eq'ing from master section (aside high-gain eq depending on the backing-track I play with, currently set 5), mid eq is 100-bass around 80-treble 30 bright switch off.

3. mertay

mertay Member

The "small amp" selection on the output option can be considered a cool cab. option. Keep in mind when selected, any cab. from amp section is bypassed.

UPDATE; I was using the fullrange amp, after posting tried different amps and it wasn't as successful. Still for those who like using pedals (from gt-1 or external) for tone this is a cool option.

The response curve is very comparable to the 4x10/4x12 cab.s, but with some sub-bass leak and much more high-end. So its the widest range yet still realistic "cab." in the gt-1 but handling the extra high-freq.s can be difficult depending on goal. The higher the gain the harder it may get.

For those who want to try, keep in mind reducing/shaping the mid-to-high freq.s is more rewarding than increasing the bass. Aside amp eq's, the mid. eq from master output can also be selected to 10 khz then decreased by -20 with a Q of 2 or 4 to fake a high-cut.

NOTE; Wish they would make that high-cut when selecting "line-output" variable to some extent like my 20 year old digitech rp12's cab. section... this in theory would solve pretty much everything discussed here. Do request this if someone knows an engineer from Boss.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  4. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

i have a chance to change my gt-1 for a gt-001, is the gt-001 good for me, i'm not in a band and i will never be, i work in studio... so what you think?

5. yanakosk

yanakosk Member

For you, in the studio, is better the gt001. Is like a gt100 without the footswitch's!!!

pelaomedinaese likes this.
  6. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

the only thing that stop me is the fact that boss don't support it for future updates.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. mertay

mertay Member

Quick sound examples with very high distortion;

Bosscab is 2x12, smallampgt1 is the output selected to small amp (with some tweaking of specially tame the high-end).

8. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

the small amp makes a big difference

mertay likes this.
  9. mertay

mertay Member

And this is with medium gain. By the way, the dist. example was my mt-2 and this is with the EHX Glove analog pedals.

Again, when selecting the small amp go to master setting eq's and select 10khz, -20gain. The Q I went for was 1 or 2. I also added a few db on the high gain but after that some eq adjustments on the amps eq's may be required depending on the preset.

10. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

Just buy stuff for what it is instead of for what it might become in the future.

yanakosk likes this.
  11. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

i want to share with you a new and really good tip in this thread: the level knob
    maybe this knob in preamp section pass unnoticed for you when you tweak your tone and also for me, but i read the parameter manual and i find that this knob is for the preamp level and the manual recommend that do not increase this knob too much and i know why: this knob in higher values turn your tone in ****, it increases the low and low mid ranges and overdrives it (and that is the classical "boss sound"), you must turn from 50 to down till you find a good sound. This knob don't work asa volume knob but it decreases the volume in lower values so you must rise the volume with eq or master eq, try this tip and reply this thread. KEEP ALIVE THIS WONDERFUL THREAD HEHE

12. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

13. mertay

mertay Member

I'll give it a try when I have the time, recording example of preamp out vs master. There is a chance a poweramp emu. may be affecting but I never though of that till now.

An update; I have a few payware ir cab.s and spent some time trying to match the response with gt-1 cab.s. Interesting thing is I kept decreasing 500hz from master out to get the closest results, only the amp eq's+cab.s in gt-1 change depending on the amp. My main amp is the fullrange but tried 5150 and 1959 and this applied, still needs some tests though...

If anyone else has ir cab.s they like give it a shot, first keep the master out section flat and get as close as possible with amp eq's and cab.s till the point you're stuck then use the master section mid eq.

I highly recommend voxengo span (free) http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ as the analyzer to be used cause it has a default tilt with makes it easier to read results+hold button freezes the result which is super useful. Select average, increase blocksize (8192 is good enough, higher is better) and hit open strings a few times, that should be enough to get a usable response. Clicking on the analyzer screen of span will refresh.

pelaomedinaese and DigiPOV like this.
  14. mertay

mertay Member

I tried the main out vs preamp out.

Amp was ms1959 1+2, gain set at 75. Turning the main output all the way up resulted in a clearer sound than turning the level of the amp all the way up.

Can anyone test and confirm this (by recording the 2 results and comparing)?

15. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

that's the method i write above, the preamp level increases the low end and it's like a distort low end

mertay likes this.
  16. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

Just checked this and i'm regretting for bought a gt-1 the huge difference is how the final stage of the sound is converted, the gt-1 sound like a low quality audio like it's under 44.1 khz

17. mertay

mertay Member

With the ms1959 1+2 it was muddier high-end (something even non-guitar players can notice), poweramps in the gt-1 may be different from amp to amp so the artefact's may be different.

There is no given formula, but I increased the main output to 100 then decreased the preamps level till it didn't clip the soundcard. If needed sure the master out can be set higher, but one must be careful not to take too much warmth away by focusing too much on clarity.

Thanks to pelaomedinaese for pointing this out!

Edit; After some tests I think keeping the preamp level between 20 to 45 and adjusting the main output according might be a formula...If the output gets too low according to this formula (happened to a preset I made with the jc120), increase the output with the patch level of the preset.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  18. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

Man, I still don't get it. What is it that you guys are hearing that is so offensive with this thing? Everything I've played it through sounds fantastic, from headphones to monitors to a few PAs. I like the unit PRECISELY because I didn't have to do this song and dance like I did with the HD500.

slooky and pelaomedinaese like this.
  19. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

i don't know man, watch the video and listen to the digitech

20. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

The Digitech does sound very good, but we also know nothing about how that video was done. YouTube comparisons are difficult to use properly. Was it a model-for-model, exact parameter match? Did the tester try to get them to sound as close as possible? Do they have a vested interest in selling one versus the other? Maybe it's because it isn't my native language, but I missed it if any of that was covered.

All I know is that my GT-1, when I play and record it, sounds WAY nicer than that. And I can go and find other YouTube demos that back it up.

It is about YOUR experience with it, not what other people say you should or shouldn't hear. This forum is famous for making people feel inferior for their gear choices ;)

slooky likes this.