Defeating the "Boss sound" (GT-1)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mertay, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

There's three different samples here. Which is which?

pelaomedinaese likes this.
  2. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

1_ is boss cabs
    2_ my method
    3_ impulse responses (3sigma)

3. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

3sigma are for me the best impulse reponses by far, much better than ownhammer of course

4. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

Here's a marshallish demo friends
    1'st is my method
    2 stock cabs
    3 impulses 3sigma

mertay likes this.
  5. mertay

mertay Member

If the cab. section on gt-1 was independent from preamp, this approached could be reversed. Like making a clean amp from eq's to match a cab. sim. (thats what I did with my old digitech rp12).

I wonder when the firmware will be updated, hopefully they heard the crowds view on cab.s. . Someone hinted it started...maybe if we're lucky enough 2018 namm show.

6. stratcat1980

stratcat1980 Member

i find nothing wrong with the onboard cabs for my needs.Everything can be made better of course but stock isnt that bad.

7. pelaomedinaese

pelaomedinaese Member

yeah boss is questioned for metal or high gain tones, in clean or crunch is really good

+NRG likes this.
  8. mertay

mertay Member

New to this but wanted to share, as you guys know pedals have direct level option. Idea is to hit the amp more dynamically with the tone of your guitar together with the selected pedal...

But what if I place a pedal before the gt-1? then like the jb-2 I create a parallel sound with whatever pedal I want :)

First is my ehx glove, gain set to 11 o'clock. Then I add the natural od from the gt-1 (d. level 30), I aimed to increase the drive of the ehx without changing the character much;

The tricky part is to set the output but its manageable if you have some patience.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. mertay

mertay Member

Pleasant surprise the power drive amp responded very well to my analog overdrive.

I replicated my OD's sound in the gt-1 but as a boost it didn't work anywhere near as well as my analog OD (odd...). Its been a while since I played the ST-2 pedal but I'm certain it can compete. I'll post a soundclip later on as I'm still experimenting.

Nhoj likes this.
  10. Nhoj

Nhoj Member

Nice.

11. mertay

mertay Member

I ran an analog dist. pedal before (can be heard in this topic the vai example) but this sound for me close enough to ditch it.

The only downside is GT-1 amps are much noiseyer (than boosting an analog dist. pedal to a clean gt-1 amp), so I used the noise suppressor right at the beginning of the chain to decrease noise coming from the analog OD. It doesn't really "cut" the noise like other noisegates but decreases nicely, I'm satisfied for such use.

So this is with my OD glove level and drive maxed running to the gt-1. The odd thing is if I decrease the pedals output and add from anything inside the gt-1 (for example level increase from an eq or comp. thats not altering the sound) the tone gets thinner, a difference maybe hard to notice in a song but easy when played solo.

This is the power drive amp but vintage recto or lead amp also responded good. The example is quick but an experienced player would notice the more natural sounding sustain and compression and reacted to my bridge PU (tonezone) just like a real amp too.

12. jnurp

jnurp Member

I have a gt10 that I have dialed in very nice for high gain and low gain mild breakup sounds. I found the key is to set treble lower than usual and slightly adjust pres to taste but it usually falls well below 12 o'clock. I never set any gain higher than 11 o'clock on any amp.and use the transparent boost before the amp. It just always sounds great to me.

13. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Fwiw, an idea about how to defeat the Boss sound just crossed my mind: Don't use Boss pedals.
    Might work...

14. mertay

mertay Member

I agree and in this example the gain on the amp is set 60 (with gt-1 max is 120) but the test is about how the analog boost reacts differently. The boost itself is pretty aggressive by the way (both gain and output from pedal is maxed), getting such tone without unwanted artefact's with so much boost is harder to get.

You'll notice the harmonic response when I switch the pickup or touch a string by mistake and even the feedback in the end...it reacts just like a real amp would, including the natural compression I feel in my hands.