Definitive, NITRO SAFE guitar stand?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AaeCee, Jan 18, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Ok, so which one. Want a single guitar stand that's stable, secure, and won't melt those nitro finishes. Price not really a factor. You know, the one that most of you have. Thanks, AC

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I bought a couple of Hercules stands - they are like the Ultimate Support stands that hold your guitar up by the neck and not by holding them from the bottom - this is great because your strap and cord don't get tangled up in the bottom of the stand. It also has a couple of little arms that keep the guitar from falling off the stand, and the arms lift up automatically when you grab the guitar. I checked out the US stands first, but the Hercules was built much better. Sets up in seconds and breaks down pretty small. I believe the foam they used is supposed to be good for nitro finishes.

The best stand I have ever owned...

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

But that's what worries me...you 'believe...is supposed to be'. Gotta be sure. I see those stands at high-end dealers, and you're probably right, but does anyone know for sure? AC

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I researched this topic earlier some time ago and bought a few Ultimate Genesis stands. I put a Custom Shop Strat in one, a JV Strat in another, and my EJ Strat in the other. The CS and JV (poly on neck) are fine. The EJ (all nitro) was eaten in about 3 days. Fortunately, it was only the topmost layer of the lacquer that was affected and it rubbed out - close freak'in call. I now have the EJ back in an el cheezo GC stand with loads of guitar rags under and around contact points with the body and neck.

I contacted Ultimate, and they DO NOT guarantee that their stands are OK with nitro.

I look forward to the findings of others on this subject (keeping in mind that lots of players on the FDP swore that the Ultimate was cool with nitro!!).

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Of the following I am 100% positive:

My two Heritage babies, and my blackguard clone, all are on the el cheapo surgical rubber stands, WRAPPED in old white cotton T shirts. This way only the cotton T-Shirts touch the guitars. I got a personal guarantee on this from Heritage, speaking to Rendal Wall. This man has been around nitro guitars for like 40+ years or better, so he might know a thing or two.

You might want to call Gibson, Heritage, Martin, or any other nitro cellulose using guitar factory.

Makeshift DEEJ likes this.
  6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I have been worrying about guitar stands myself and found it really odd that no one at the local guitar stores seemed to know nothing about the issues with some rubber stands! Man, they have high dollar Gibsons laying around in the store and they know nothing about taking good care of them.. It's odd that this issue isnt better known since all Gibsons are nitro and most high end Fenders are nitro..

I have cotton socks all over my plastic guitar stand. The dude at the local store it would be safe for nitro guitars. Once let my strat stand on it for couple of minutes and the "process" started immediately. Luckily no harm was done.

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Here is a quote from the Hercules web site:

Trust your guitars and basses to HERCULES guitar stands. Innovative features include the self-locking Auto Grab System, the compact portability of the mini stands, and lacquer-safe Specially Formulated Foam rubber. Find out for yourself why HERCULES guitar stands are popping up on the wish list of many guitar players.

So there it is....

If you are interested in guarantees, I suggest you contact them...

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Anyone trying this approach (which also works best for me, so far) needs to be aware that nitro can be affected if you don't put enough fabric between the guitar and the rubber.

Initially, I just put a single layer between the rubber and the nitro, and the nitro began to interact right through the single layer - no joke. Had to rub that out as well - more than once - 'cause I didn't believe it was still interacting (nitro/rubber). The EJ Strat in question was brand spanking new, so maybe there is some drying/curing that occurs that accounts for this volatility.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Well I'm a big guy (5'10, 260, and a big weight lifter), so my shirts are actually big enough to double if not triple or quadruple wrap over the stands. So I've never tried the single wrap.

10. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I aways worry about that with my EJ.
    I had been using one of those multi stands with rubber on them. At gigs no problem.
    But, I saw where MF was selling a case type stand. Looks like a big brief case that you open and set up and this one can hold 3 guitars. It is lined and padded like a guitar case with the fur.
    Fender of course makes them and even in bigger sizes.
    I know it is not a single guitar stand but you should have to worry about your finish.
    I guess the leather hold in straps could react but on mine the neck doesn't sit close to it.
    Good luck

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I also use one of the tweed briefcase, 3 guitar stands. I bought a Gator one because it is quite a bit cheaper than the Fender one, looks the exact same, and is just as sturdy. I originally bought it because I bring 3 guitars to gigs and I didn't like having to use individual stands for 2 of them and wear the third. I have two of the Ultimate fold up type stands. I bring two strats and have a '61 SG dedicated to slide.
    A few of the places we play have us down on the floor level with the bar patrons. These cases offer much more stability and safety to your guitars than tripod style stands. No one can accidentally knock anything over and once the guitars are in the stand, there is no chance they are not on quite right. I finally decided to get one of these after seeing Tab Benoit with his 3 thinline teles in his. Ultra cool and functional!

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or just keep the guitars in cases...

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Hey, when not playing them, that's where they live. Like cases. Cases good. But when I'm in one of my "let's compare all of my guitars" moods, or I'm playing/comparing them with friends, it's a lot easier to keep a few out for the quick switch. Oh, where does one find the multi-guitar 'case/stands' that were mentioned?

14. CNP

CNP Member

I use any old stand with a paper bag over the contact points. Works great!

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I really like keeping some of my guitars out and easily at hand. I find that I pick 'em up more often that way.

16. Pearly Grapes

Pearly Grapes Member