Definitive Top Boost settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eksfiles, Feb 1, 2012.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Ok, what do you got? Doesn't matter what amp your using, I'd love to hear what sounds like your definitive Top Boost tone.

I'm running a Morgan DAG15, with volume at about 10 o'clock, both treble and bass at 10 o'clock and my cut completely off. This sounds like top boost classic tone to me. Let's here it....what do you got?

2. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

I tend to run my AC30 with the treble at 12 and cut knob off. If i'm running it clean I like the gain turned up to just below the point where it starts to audibly distort to get some sustain and compression, and adjust the bass depending on the guitar between about 10 and 1. As I turn the gain up I tend to reduce the bass a little.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I like the treble at 11:30, bass at 12:30, cut off. And volume just before breakup, or on the edge of. Non master version.

4. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

After some more noodling with settings, I'm finding that on my Morgan DAG15, I'm starting to leave the treble and bass at noon, while I leave the cut off when playing in normal mode, but with the pull bright on, I usually drop the cut to 10 o'clock or just barely on.

I think the DAG15 seems to work best when the tone controls are at the same level.

On the Vox I had, I usually had Bass at 2 o'clock and treble on 10 o'clock. The Morgan has more bass and treble on tap.

I set volume just before break up too.

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Q: "cut off" means full treble from the cut control?

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

That's the way I'm interpreting it .

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

With my TopHat King Royale I run the treble at 1:00, mids 1:00, bass 9:00

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

For me, the definitive Top Boost sound is all about those beautiful papery Vox mids with a bit of top end chime, so when I eq my Vox AC30TBX I typically set it with the Cut control 'off' for maximum brilliance, and the Bass & Treble controls just to the point where they are not shelving any of the midrange frequencies - which usually is at about noon (halfway on dial) or just below.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  9. mAx___

mAx___ Member

10. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Yeah, no cut means all the treble.

If you turned it fully the other way and thought that was a good tone, I don't think I'd trust you any more. :rotflmao

11. murky69nz

murky69nz Member

AC30TBX, JMJ30 and BLC30 here.

Cut always off. I turn the Treb up to about 12oclock (maybe slightly higher for humbuckers, slightly lower for bright singles). I then turn the bass up - used to run this between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, but lately I've been running it a lot lower - probably 8-9 o'clock. I realised that my sound was way too bass heavy - sounded good on it's own, but crap in a band situ.

They talk about the Vox "V" - the tone controls forming a V - not sure which way around, but I'd agree that these settings work well with HB's/SC's (higher bass, less treb for SC's and vice versa).

Personally, I think the position of the volume control is the most important aspect - 10 o'clock with a strat for Edge type breakup, 12-1 o'clock for everything else (using the gat vol to control the breakup). Attenuator is a must - MV's on the newer stuff just doesn't cut it......

12. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Fantastic guys! That was a great clip from that bbc documentary. I have to agree it makes alot of difference where your volume is, however, I think you can still get some of that classic top boost tone at most volumes. I do have an attenuator built into my amp, but I don't mind a master volume found on some Vox amps either.

All of you guys seem to be spot on with your posts.:agree

13. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Hayseed 30
    Treb - 2:00
    Bass - Noon
    Cut - 9:00-10:00 (allowing quite a bit of highs through)
    Volume about 2:00

I also jump this with my "normal" channel (which is EF86) to beef it up some, but if I was going all TB I'd just use the above settings and not jump it with the normal channel. I try to keep the bass around noon to keep the mids in the mix, plus the bass is pretty punchy as is at noon.

14. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Not to sure if this is the Vox V that ppl talk about, but facing the controls, looking at them backwards as most AC users have to, I set the bass at about 2:00 and the treble at 10:00 and the cut at 10:00 so just letting some frequencies in, not full out treble. Man, no it sounds middy, bass is organic and the treble sweet without harshness. I also have my bright switch on the Morgan engaged. (Joe told me the Bright caps are hard-wired to the input) so to get more authentic Vox tones on his DAG15, the bright mode should be on.

Fun stuff this top boost business.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012