Deimel Firestar build

UliM

Man, I've been so lucky this past year. Strictly speaking guitar-wise here...

Apart from that fantastic Aliquot guitar and the Ronin Morningstar, I also purchased a great Moffa Mithra.
And now this, in November 2015 I ordered a Deimel Firestar from Abachi with a maple neck, Madagascar rosewood neck, two Joe Barden TwoTones pickups, a kill switch, Mastery bridge, a Duesenberg vibrola and Frank Deimel's piezo pickup.

Finding the fitting color:

Baemer

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Deimel doublestar raw tone for some time and it was killer! Franks work is amazing, congrats, UliM!!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
whoaaaaa, uli!
beautiful & nicely bling-y!

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member
Wow.

Been interested in their builds for quite a while.

The color and everything else here is stunning. Enjoy.

Creepwood

Please post clips once you have it. I've been looking at those Firestars for a long time now and you've just reignited my GAS (as a fellow lefty no less).

Creepwood

Fantastic, thanks! I'm especially interested in the tuning stability of the Duesenberg/Mastery vibrato and the usefulness of the Piezo :)

By the way - minor criticism here -, Deimel do a bunch of interesting stuff that's still inadequately explained on their website; I hope they update it soon. For example, I'd love to know more about the cryogenic treatment they offer for the electronics or the entire guitar (!) - what's the point, is it effective etc. The "Leslee" pickups are very intriguing too, would be interested in hearing some feedback on those if anyone here has tried them.

guitar800

Fantastic, thanks! I'm especially interested in the tuning stability of the Duesenberg/Mastery vibrato and the usefulness of the Piezo :)

By the way - minor criticism here -, Deimel do a bunch of interesting stuff that's still inadequately explained on their website; I hope they update it soon. For example, I'd love to know more about the cryogenic treatment they offer for the electronics or the entire guitar (!) - what's the point, is it effective etc. The "Leslee" pickups are very intriguing too, would be interested in hearing some feedback on those if anyone here has tried them.

Indeed, that should be explained in a way more detailed way, thanks for the hint! We do offer the cryogenic treatment through a partner of us, who is specialized on this kind of technique. He offers it also for entire guitars, but what I personally do believe, is the (positive) effect on any metal. That is why we offer it most often on entire circuits, readily soldered including pickups, and bridges as well. It is a fact, that cryogenic treatment changes the microstructure of steel and other alloys. I cannot really follow this theory on woods, except that it dries the wood even more than within a natural environment. The effect on coils, magnets, cables, solder joints I do understand. It has an effect even sound wise, I have heard it, but unfortunately I cannot prove it, as it should have been A/B tested of course, which I have not yet done.

Creepwood

Indeed, that should be explained in a way more detailed way, thanks for the hint! We do offer the cryogenic treatment through a partner of us, who is specialized on this kind of technique. He offers it also for entire guitars, but what I personally do believe, is the (positive) effect on any metal. That is why we offer it most often on entire circuits, readily soldered including pickups, and bridges as well. It is a fact, that cryogenic treatment changes the microstructure of steel and other alloys. I cannot really follow this theory on woods, except that it dries the wood even more than within a natural environment. The effect on coils, magnets, cables, solder joints I do understand. It has an effect even sound wise, I have heard it, but unfortunately I cannot prove it, as it should have been A/B tested of course, which I have not yet done.

That's very interesting, thanks! I love it when builders try new stuff. The Firestar is such a cool platform; if I were to spec one out, I'd put in everything and the kitchen sink - blocks and binding, Piezo, Leslee, Duesenberg trem, middle pickup... But yeah, that remains a pipe dream for the moment.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
@UliM

Interested to hear what you think of the Bardens. I have a Two Tone in a T-style guitar and it sounds fantastic.

UliM

@UliM

Interested to hear what you think of the Bardens. I have a Two Tone in a T-style guitar and it sounds fantastic.

Having the guitar at home for only a day, what I can say about the Bardens is that I was really astonished at the warmth they project. The neck pickup sounds incredibly warm. Great jazz tone even!
I love the sound of these pickups and together with the Switchcraft sliders (neck tap; bridge tap) I have more "strat"-like sounds at hand - very versatile guitar! Love it.

Last edited:

Baemer

Gold Supporting Member
@UliM , Congrats again! If you can share more thoughts about the trem unit, it'd be great. I really like the one I have but it was installed after market, I feel there it may take a bit of the sustain and resonance away from my guitar. I realize this occurs on a guitar by guitar basis, and @guitar800 designs his beauties with this trem in mind. Long way of saying, if you have thoughts on the trem in this application, I'm all ears.

Best!
B

UliM

Here's a first clip with the Firestar. I started with the neck pickup, then both, then bridge PU, then again with the taps...
Sorry for the pops at the beginning.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Trending Topics

Top Bottom