Deja Vibe / Fulltone = nothing but problems...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by szango, Jan 13, 2006.

1. szango

szango Member

Last year, i had some problems with Fulltone tech support... so i posted this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=68103

Well, i thought my problems had gone away.. but apperantly i was VERY wrong!!

My Mini Deja Vibe has not been working right since i bought it new from a store. When you turn the pedal on (speed set at 12:00) it does not modulate. rather, it overdrives the sound and the blinking speed LED stays bright rather than blinking. Sometimes if you would turn it to the slowest speed while it was on.. it would start to modulate again, and you could turn it back up higher and it would work correctly. but if turned back off and on again, it would do the same thing... and not "vibe"

I have returned this peadal (paying for shipping 2 ways). They said they fixed it. but didnt... Now, even when i turn it down to get it to modulate.. it still wont vibe.. i know for a fact that this pedal is NOT working correctly, but thats not even why im upset this time... im upset by the lack of attention to my problem..

I wrote Fullltone tech support an email about this problem (because i dont know their secret phone number) and i get a pretty annoying response from them:

It's normal that the light stays on (some of the LED's will vary in brightness) and there is slight to almost no modulation when the speed control turned all the way down.

Best regards,[FONT=&quot]
    Tech Dept/ Fulltone
    Tsugute
    [/FONT]

This response doesnt come CLOSE to getting the problem solved.. there is NOTHING normal about the way this pedal has been working. Does anyone have the "SECRECT" Fulltone phone number to the phone that someone actually answers?!?!?? I can tell you one thing, they have done a GREAT job at convincing me NOT to buy any other FUlltone pedals... :BITCH

VERY ANNOYED,

jason[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. szango

szango Member

Im still blown away by the fact their own tech support guy tells me "its normal for the LED to stay bright".. the light is supposed to blink at the speed of the vibe!!! Is he saying its normal for their gear not to work correctly?!?

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow! You sound angry!! i've heard bad things about Fulltone customer service, and it seems some of them are true. Didn't your pedal have a guarantee or something? Pay them a visit, hah!

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't give up. It's funny that even when they get someone in to be a rep he reflects that kind of obtuseness that was often the makers manner too.

This guy cannot possibly mean it is meant to be ON all the time. Reply to the email (first count to 10, and try not to let anger slip in to the tone of the mail) and just be VERY precise and before sending, reread and see if even a child could understand the meaning...then send.

Tell them "the LED should not be on constant, it is supposed to blink, indicating the current tempo which was set by the "speed" switch. It does not do that. There is NO vibe-oscillation either. At this point this is not a vibe. I have talked with other mini-deja-vibe owners and this is NOT normal operation. This pedal is broken. So what can I expect from you in the way of help?. It frankly worries me that you do not understand that the LED ought to be blinking to indicate the speed. I also have had it in repair with YOU and was told it was "fixed" yet it does exactly the same as it did before I sent it to you. If you "fixed" it it must have been broken (which it is) and it is doing the SAME THING now. I paid a good deal of money for this pedal, and I expect at least nominal support. Not to be told "it is normal" when it is, in fact, unuseable as a "vibe" pedal.

Just hang in there, what is the alternative? Can't sell a broken vibe for very much. First go that route until it is either fixed, or you know they just aren't going to help...if that is the case, open it up, look for obvious problems...if you are at the "throw it away" stage, can't hurt to take a digital photo (for reference) and a marking pen, mark any and all potentiometers, and other adjustables, and carefully tweak a little see if you can make it work better. Better than that, you could take it to a music store, ask them how much for repair.

You still have a lot of options, don't despair!

5. szango

szango Member

good advice. i was heated when i wrote it.. i just couldnt belive the response i got. it really threw me back. i know they make great pedals, but they really do need a LOT of improvement w/ customer service.

I will post an update once i hear back from them. thanks for the support

6. larc

larc Member

You might also want to try tweaking the adjustable trim pot inside. It's been a while since I've toyed with mine, but I recall it not working right when that trim pot was turned too much in one direction (perhaps something similar to what your describing).

7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Wow...I sorry to hear of your poor response. I recently had fantastic customer service from them. I emailed the addy on the website, got quick responses back from Michael himself. Since I'm local, I hand carried my ChoralFlange and Clyde in for some mods, and let me know when they were ready. Pedals are in awesome working order now.
    Have you tried sending a note to the addy listed on the fulltone site?

8. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Just for the record, I've had GREAT service from Fulltone. A few weeks ago, I sent in a Clyde Deluxe that broke. It was four years old and I'm not even the original owner. Even though it was over the holidays, they fixed it quickly and only charged me shipping. Works great now.

9. GeorgeBlekas

GeorgeBlekas Senior Member

I have had a few Mini Deja vibes and when I contacted Fulltone about a missing shroud, in the first one that I had, Mike took care of things right away. The Vibes both worked as intended and I had no negative issues with them. Mike on the other hand comes off kind of arrogant to me. No doubt I am not alone in that thought and why he appears to be so loved by many.

Regardless of personality flaws he does have some nice looking, well built pedals. I would take the pedal to a friends house and try it out through completely different rig to rule out things like defective power supply or cords, amp, speakers, dirty power etc.
    Just a thought there as I have seen a bunch of things like that in the past.

Regards,
    George
    www.PedalworX.com

10. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, my thought is to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it can't be made to work, using batteries, or another power supply, etc. Because one good reason they'd send it back to you, saying it's fixed would be "it works correctly."

I'm not advising you to BUY ANYTHING to make the pedal work. I'm suggesting that you go to the dealer at which you purchased the pedal, or go to another dealer that will have power supplies, etc... or go to a friend's place... whatever it takes, and try the unit with OTHER power supplies (batteries?) and other cables... anything you can. This is, of course assuming you haven't done so. But due dilligence demands that you're on top of this one. Also, remember that YOU NEED the pedal fixed or replaced... so you can NOT fly off the handle, no matter how idiotic someone's response is.

Chances are, someone from within his organization has already seen this thread. I would expect them to want to help you... that seems to be the way of most of the builders here... I've even seen builders help with devices they didn't make.

Do what you can, and try to keep your cool, so you can get this done with. You MAY even end up loving the pedal. All I know is, flipping out at someone who didn't intentionally screw you is not going to solve anything... and the people answering your e-mail probably aren't the people fixing broken pedals.

11. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    I remember mine didnt work at all in a friends fx loop.
    It worked nice on my amp, just in front of it ..in his amp too btw.
    You might consider that it was a special tube designed fxloop for his Gmajor.

12. justicetones

justicetones Member

My deja vibe works great. I have had great customer service from Mike and Fulltone in the past. I hope you have better luck if you recontact them.:jo