Delay AND chorus in one pedal like this (help me pick one) ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Snakum, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Snakum

Snakum Member

Having researched, read, bought, borrowed, and tried a large number of OD/Boost pedals in the last five or six years, I have finally arrived at what can only be called my own personal Tone Heaven, with respect to ODs. A Bad Monkey into a LoveKraft MojoDrive. It's all there ... everything I need.

So now I need a good Wah and a Delay/Chorus pedal. The delay/chorus requirements are these ...

* One pedal with delay and chorus available, if at all possible, though they need not have individual switches. I've been getting by with a DigiTech DigiDelay for many years. I just reach down and change it when I need chorus. No prob. But I would like to have one pedal that covers both.

* Does not suck tone when placed into the effects chain. No change at all to the base amp tone when placed into the chain and turned off.

* Tone is reasonably transparent, ie. a single coil guitar sounds like a single coil, a Vox amp still sounds like a Vox, etc. when either delay or chorus or both are selected.

* Is not noisy when activated, even when placed in front of am amp and not in an effects loop.

* Delay and chorus should sound warm and totally clean, but not sterile.

* Delay should be relatively easily switchable between slapback and normal delay. A couple knob twists and done, if possible.

* Chorus should be able to use as a pseudo flanger, i.e. used for SRV's Cold Shot or Van Halen's Ain't Talk'n Bout Love to simulate a light flange.

* Should be very reliable.

* Should play well with other pedals.

* Should cost less than $250 if at all possible.

Does such a creature exist?

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

3. Snakum

Snakum Member

Who dat? :confused:

4. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. Yep, the latest reissues have true bypass and cords that are detachable.

6. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Some of your requirements are somewhat subjective, but the Visual Sound H2O is a pretty good sounding pedal and meets most of those requirements. I have an older one, and it does most of what you ask. I haven't really tried to get a pseudo flanger or vibe tone out of it, though.

John

7. Snakum

Snakum Member

Thanks. Does the EH unit do chorus, as well? How does it sound? EDIT ... just looked into it ... pretty surprising. I had no idea. That's why I asked here ... I have little experience with delay pedals and figured you guys might. Thanks!

I looked into the H2O, and was figuring that might be my only real option. But I wanted to see if there were any booteek pedals available that were awesome enough to make me part with a bunch of dead presidents.

Anyone have gigging experience with the Visual Sound unit? How does it sound? How does it hold up when gigging regularly?

8. object47

object47 Member

An old morley ECV (echo/chorus/vibrato) will do all that plus realtime control of the chorus/vibrato rate and delay time via the footpedal.

9. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

Check out the sound clips for the Damage Control Glass Nexus on their site. You might be able to get a used one for a decent price. Otherwise the H2O chorus looks good to me. It would be best to be able to try out before you buy.

11. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

I own the H20 pedal and I love its chorus, very warm and natural sounding, its got a cool switch for the chorus side thats either normal or lush, and then the echo/delay has a slow or fast. The delay is digital but has a very nice warm and saturated sound to it, I do gig with it, along with my dd6 that i stack. Great pedal.

Only gripe, its chorus speed isnt SUPER fast so depending on what you're trying to do it may or may not matter.

12. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Hello from High Point :band!!!

You might consider a new Visual Sound V2 H20 Echo \ Chorus. I haven't heard one yet, but I think it might do what you're interested in.

vtg

13. Snakum

Snakum Member

Hey neighbor! Howz yer mommern'em? :D I've probably spent a million dollars at Musicians Supply on Main St. High Point. Ya know Ronnie? Ronnie's a helluva guy ... sells Peavey stuff at prices MF can't touch.

Yeah ... the H2O seems to be about the only option in my price range. One never knows though ... could run up on a used Damage Control or EH MMD. I gotta try them all out, ah reckon.

Abotu the H2O ... does the long/short switch do 'slapback/regular' pretty well? Or is more adjusting required even after switching it?

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had an H2O for a short time and that was cool, but the Damage Control Glass Nexus was pretty amazing. Does what you want plus a bunch of other stuff--warm, solid sound quality in a pedal format.

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Currently I use the Digidelay and the EH Deluxe Memory Man for their great modulated delays. There is nothing sweeter than the DMM for my delay needs.
    Best Regards!

16. dancehall

dancehall Member

Any reason they have to be in one pedal? I mean, there are a bunch of chorus/vibe and chorus/flanger options out there because the effects are pretty similar, but chorus/delay is kind of a rare combination. You may really dig the H2O but if you insist on this two-in-one thing there's a good chance you'll be settling for less when you could have two great separate pedals.

17. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Two pedals stand out for delay & chorus...
    Cheaper: Visual Sound H20
    Costlier: Damage Control Glass Nexus

18. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Jacques Prisoner delay does modulated analog delay that sounds like chorus with delay. It is good with gain and clean sound.

DS

19. Kenster

Kenster Member

I have an older one and it does switch to slapback pretty good without adjustment. If you do need to adjust its not much to twist the knob just a bit depending on your preference. I actually can hit the little rocker switch with my foot and not have to bend down but that's a 2, 3 or 4 beer trick at the most.:BEER :D

Curious about the newer version though. Sounds like they have made some improvements/added features.

20. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Check the Boost D L A by Tech 21.
    It is a delay that adds modulation. With very short delay time it sounds like chorus.
    The Jacques and the E-H also have rate control.
    Sunny Day Delay--never heard it, but it is as above.
    H2O is a 2-in one unit. Most guitar centers have these.
    Also, pricier, the Boomearang Chorus/Delay is brand new, and I have never heard a comment on it yet.