Delay and reverb pedals in front of a Plexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WienerDog, Feb 5, 2015.

1. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

Is it me, or are Plexi-style amps very compatible with delays and reverbs running out front? In my experience lots of amps don't play well with delays and reverbs that are going into a gained-up tone, but my Plexi seems different. What's the magic here?

2. lkft

lkft Member

Yeah I think the main difference is the clean tone you get from the plexi. The plexi even cranked to get it grinding still retains the clean aspect of the base tone where as gainier amps tend to sound muddled with time based fx up front.

3. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

IMO a plexi type of amp NEEDS a little delay or reverb in front to sound sweet. I hate playing clean without some kind of reverb, it just sounds crap. Unless I am playing in a big hall, where I get natural hall/echo. Overdriven I can do with only the amp as well...

4. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

I'm opposite...I think a plexi is perfect dry, no matter where the volume knob on the guitar is(clean to scream)...I prefer to let the room handle and ambiance...I dislike reverb on any amp, just muddles things...

5. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I've always played Fenders with nice reverbs and playing an amp without a reverb just sounds awefull to my ears. Unless the room gives you a nice reverb, as stated obove :)

Overdriven, no need for any of these.....but I guess, a Plexi is born to be driven hard ;) ... otherwise I'd get a Fender Super Reverb for that BIG CLEAN tone.

6. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I am with you with having no reverb on the plexi, but I like it on other amps.

I always run my Victoria 35310 and Savage Macht 12 with my VanAmps Sole-Mate, but I prefer my Plexi without the reverb.

I definitely don't think the Plexi sounds bad with reverb, but I prefer it without.

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

As I play them cranked max, neither reverb and delay works out very good, but used set to a little breakup it's all good. :)

8. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

Cool perspectives from everyone on this! The point about the clean-ness of Plexis, even when grinding, makes sense. On mine (Granger M50) the delays and reverbs seem to latch onto that underlying clean sound.

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

HI , which "Plexi -style" amp are we talking about? Also what volume level? Up to all-out cranking of the amp , yep , they can sound very good in front! Eric

EDIT: woops while typing my post, you already pre-answered my 'type of amp' question! haha.. . how 'bout volume?

10. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Funny, the Fenders I like don't have reverb :) Bassmans...haha

I dislike spring reverb with a passion...lol