Delay before or after EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottcw, Feb 5, 2006.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

My signal chain is currently:

BJF MGMV>Proanalog Scary Face>Kometcake>BJF Honey Bee>BJF SBEQ. I have a vintage Ibanez AD-80, but I am not sure if it should go before or after the EQ. Thoughts? Thanks.

2. webb

webb Member

I put my SBEQ after the delay, but that's just me.

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I think that it could be interesting either way. It would be cool if you could put an eq in the loop of a delay, that way you could manipulate the q of the delayed lines. :)

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't see any point in putting it after the delay...just my opinion but...

You are EQ'ing the signal, the delay is only there to reproduce it. Either you have a delay that is faithful to the input signal, in which case as it repeats at lower and lower levels the EQ will change, so you can't really tune in the EQ you want.

If it is the kind designed to sound more bassy, or lose some highs (more like an echo) then agian, the EQ is going to mess with the way it sounds...you'll be fighting what the manufacturer at least designed into it.

Since delay/echo is usually last, the EQ just before it is going to do what you want.

5. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I tend to run my delay last with the volume pedal before it but it seems a lot of folks have been running the SBEQ last.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

put my eq-20 before my delay. The delay is there just to reproduce your signal, including what you've eq-ed

7. drolling

drolling Member

mmm..you've got some nice tone sculptors in your signal, there. Lookin at that lineup, I can almost hear your sound.

If you had an old MXR or Boss GE-7, I'd say BEFORE the AD-80 but the SeaBlue's far from a *normal* EQ pedal, IMO. Have you tried it right after the fuzz?

I'm gonna go against the grain here and suggest you sell the Ibanez for a *vintage* price on e-Bay and get yourself a new analog delay w/it's own tone control. Echoczar springs to mind. I'm waiting for one myself, and in the meantime am using a Diamond delay w/post echo tone control - this thing adds treble or bass to each successive repeat.. the way you set the tone control can even affect the number of repeats generated..boosting the highs (or lows) will send it into runaway oscillation, even with the feedback control set low. Mindblowingly cool, it would be right at home w/Bjorn & Scotty's creations..

8. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

So you are suggesting Vibe > preamp pedal (Scary Face) > EQ > poweramp pedals (Kometcake, Honey Bee) > delay? Interesting idea... are you thinking the EQ there because amps have their EQ in the preamp, followed by the power amp?

9. drolling

drolling Member

Yes sir, I am. But SBEQ will do nicely as a *booster*, anywhere in the signal chain.

When I'm doing Gypsy music, the Seablue's plugged right into the Stimer clip-on pickup - but many modern apps will dictate that you put your eq last. Let your ears make the final decision..