Delay before swirly stuff or vice versa?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Jun 8, 2006.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Which do you do with your pedals? I've been used to delay first but got to thinking... BTW, I'm using a DL4 and am MM4.

2. elambo

elambo Member

I have delay last in my chain and I think it works well there.

3. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

i use modulation then delay then reverb, if im using a volume pedal i usually put it after the modulation and before delay

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

I put delay last because I use the DL4 and I like to be able to sample the rest of my stuff with the looper.

5. mild

mild Member

I usually have my delays last, with one exception - running a stereo delay.
    I have been known to place all sorts of strange things along the second channel of my DD5 into my Fender... (main channel to AC30)

Chorus'd, reverb'd, overdriven delays? Yum yum. (Practically rating = close to nil...)

6. erksin

erksin Member

I used to run my DLS Chorus~Vib (set for Magnatone style Vibrato) before my Jacques Prisoner, swapped them last week on a tip from Muddy - the Vibrato sounds more amp-like to me now. I didn't think I'd like running them in that order, but the difference was pretty noticeable in a good way.

7. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I like my Boss DM3 2nd to last. Last is my Demeter Tremulator.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is going to sound silly-put delay after all the stuff you want in the wet and dry signals. Think things thru, if you want your amp to sound like a vintage Fender you have to put the tremelo last. Reverb, if it's separate from the amp, obviously needs to go last so it can affect everything before. If you've got an overdrive that melds seemlessly with the amp and you want it pushing the input tube (rather than the op-amp input on the delay) it'll have to go after. I've got a friend that has two volume pedals-one at the beginning of his chain to control input volume (and allow him to cut off the guitar signal without losing the tails of his reverb and delay signals) and one after to control the overall volume of his rig.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Good advice, doc!