Delay/Chorus Wah help/opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joeprs, Apr 23, 2015.

1. joeprs

joeprs Member

I am trying to find a Delay pedal and a Chorus pedal that doesn't color my tone. I had and sold an H2O and then MXR Chorus and Delay. I liked the MXR Chorus better than the H20, but when any of the above mentioned pedals were turned on I was never happen with my tone.

I realize most, if not all pedals are going to do this to some degree. But what pedals are out there that do this the least?

I don't know if I should have started a new thread or not, put my wah wah before my distortion pedals, after my distortion, or is it just personal preference?

2. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

As far as chorus pedals go, I just got a Catalinbread Callisto and it's one of the best, straightforward chorus/tremolo pedals I've ever used. If you're worried about the not coloring your tone too much, it has a mix knob so you can tweak how much you want the chorus to blend with the dry signal.

I like to keep the mix knob at 9 o'clock to add a little bit of sparkle to my tone when I don't really want a chorus. Then I bring the mix up to 12 when I want the chorus effect to be more audible. As a bonus, it's analog if that matters.

3. joeprs

joeprs Member

Thanks Jupiter Tarts, that definitely helps.

4. joeprs

joeprs Member

I think the Catalinbread Callisto chorus might work for me. I like the fact that it has a mix knob so you can tweak how much you want the chorus to blend with the dry signal.

Anybody else? I'm looking for a delay too. Perhaps I should have started two separate threads.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The problem that you're going to have looking for both chorus and delay is that how they sound is going to depend on the technology. Anything based on BBD chips (anything labeled analog) is going to low pass filter the guitar signal, and lose treble. It's worse on some delays than others (DMMTT 1100 for example is a fairly bright delay, Moog is a dark one despite using the same basic chips) but it's always there. So, you're probably looking for either something that isn't really a chorus, or something that's digital at heart...

My suggestion would be a Line6 M9. That gives you a bunch of choruses and delays to play with, even though none of them sound truly like an analog chorus. You can find ones that won't hurt your overall clean tone.

The dry mix option will certainly help a little, but the chorused sound just has to be darker. The cleanest one that I've owned (out of a LOT) for an analog chorus is the TC TCF...

6. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

I second the TCF chorus, very neutral sounding and doesn't add or take away much. As for delays, you'd need to decide on the color of the echos, do you want dark and washy then you want analog or analog emulation, if you want exact repeats, there are a ton of digital delays out there, just depends on what you want. If you didn't like the visual sound delay, then you probably want something darker or something pretty bright as that delay kind of falls in the middle. Hope that helps,