delay comparison

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earwax, Apr 25, 2015.

1. earwax

earwax Member

I have a number of delays on the go right now. I am not even half the player most of the guys on the board on this forum are but I thought I would throw out some opinions and see what bounces back.

Tonight I was just messing around with four of my delays. Sort of a collector or hoarder I guess.

So I like u2 and I like dotted 8's.

four delays I was trying were strymon el cap, diamond mljr, sdd 3000, and free the tone flight time.

I was mostly playing u2's 'bad' and 'wire' tonight.

To me the best sounding for this style was the sdd3000. 420-430ms for bad (320 for wire) with some modulation and you can still hear the percussive repeats bouncing back and forth. The memory lane jr and flight time seem to lose some of that percussiveness with the modulation up and tend to wash out. This can be a great thing if you are going for something else. The el cap can create the percussive repeats with light modulation with the bias set low and tape age set low as well. Extremely versatile pedal. The repeats aren't as present(not sure of a better word for this) as the SDD but sound pretty good. Possibly if I would put the preamp of the sdd into the el cap it would sound very close. Both the MLJR and Flight time sound good but even with the mixes up high you can't get as close to what the SDD sounds like for dotted 8th style playing.

Then I was messing around with some radiohead songs. Knives out, Lucky, and weird fishes. All with quite a bit more delay than the originals. To me the clear winners on this type of washed out delay behind the notes were the el cap and MLJR. Kind of hard to say which one I liked more. The MLJR isn't stereo and I was playing in stereo so maybe its not a fair fight. The modulation on the MLJR almost makes up for its lack of stereo though. It's pretty lush and the repeats are nice and fat. The flight time also sounds pretty good for this and is probably third.

anyways short write up add or take away as you will.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

On my board I have:

TC Electronic Nova Repeater: Almost always on. high mix, medium feedback, 350ish ms set on studio mode (2290 like) dotted eighths with slight vibrato modulation. This is my go to delay pedal and is really underrated and doesn't get much attention.

MXR Carbon Copy: low mix, short delay time and lots of repeats, modulation off. I'll stack this with the NR and use it for swells and a faux reverb sound. This was first and will be my last analog delay

Boss Tera Echo: This is my weird, spacey, spaceship delay/reverb. I'll use this for swells as well lead lines and solos. I mostly have it set as a pad-like sound to give my cleans for sparkle but sometimes I'll crank up the mix and S-time for some weird, flange, phase delay sounds. I really enjoy this pedal and even on extreme settings it is very usable and sounds great in a band context.

3. earwax

earwax Member

I totally agree with the nova repeater remarks. I have owned it once and the nova delay a couple of times. I would put it on the same level as the SDD.
    Slightly different applications for me but both very good at dotted eight. I had sold the Nova Delay to acquire the flight time and now I am not so sure I should have done that. I wish TC would make the repeater with a bpm/ms LED screen. That's about the only thing they could do to improve it for me.