Delay Dilemma: use Maxon AD900 + Subdecay Echobox or buy the Diamond ML2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AshlandBump, Aug 14, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have an AD900 and I'm considering getting a Subdecay Echobox for modulated delays and longer delays. The alternative is to sell the Maxon and buy a Diamond Memory Lane 2, which has two delays settings and does modulated delay (though I still haven't heard it demonstrated).

Any advantages/disadvantages of having two separate delays (AD900+Echobox) over the ML2? Pedal board space and powering 2 separate pedals from a pedalpower2+ is not an issue.

2. AshlandBump

bump for any insights.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

If you have 2 delays you can run one short and one long and run them into each other.

4. AshlandBump

Thanks -- I've thought about the potential of running one delay into the other but have never it. Sounds like a potential for mayhem (not necessarily bad) or is it actually more useful than that?

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Just for me personally, tap tempo opens up so many options for me, I'd go with the ML2. But it just depends on your styles.

6. AshlandBump

bump for any more thoughts.

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

If it were me I'd get the Echobox and some sort of digital delay like the Nova. I like modulated echoes on slow stuff and leads and tap tempo for rhythm stuff.

8. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Putting two delays in series can be very cool. I wouldn't consider it essential, but having two different delays cascaded can create some beautiful & subtle (or not) spacey textures. It's quite simple to set up complimentary delay times.

I haven't heard the Echobox but I'd be surprised if it can cop the rich modulated delays that the Memory Lane can. It might be a cool box, but the Memory Lane's sound is gorgeous, best of class, imo. Maybe you can find a dealer who'll let you buy & demo both and keep the one you like best.

I went through a search for a second delay (to compliment my DMM), and I tried the Nova Delay, the TRex Reptile, the TC Vintage Delay and the Boss DD-20 and DD-7. Honestly, compared to the DMM, they're all a step down as far as integrity/fullness to the original signal, but they are all have very useful features. In the end, I chose the DD-7. It's reasonably faithful to the original signal and has sparkly long delays, a great reverse, tap tempo, looping, small size and is the most affordable. And for mucking about in real time, it's simple interface gets the fastest results. But I wouldn't choose the DD-7 if modulated delays ala the DMM was crucial; the modulated delay setting is bright, with a non-adjustable fast mod speed/depth that reminds me of a phaser doing a Leslie impression. If I was still looking for a delay, I'd probably try out an Echobox too.