Delay experts: Delay in front of a dirty amp

fechart

Hi,

Today I received my Alter Ego X4. I already have delay in my G System, but I wanted to expand the Delay possibilities, so I got rhe X4.

Particularly, I'm after early EVH tones, so I'm trying the Alter Ego in front of my 5150 III, just after guitar, and I found that the dealy repeats sound only if I hit the strings quite hard, with low attack they don't sound... Is this normal? Also when I hit the strings hard the repeats volume is very high, I have to set the Delay Volume knob very low.

Any tips for using delay pre-dirt?

Thanks and cheers!

IRG

Your amp has an effect loop, correct? Usually delays and reverbs work best here. I would try that first and see how it sounds then.

dwoverdrive

This sounds like a problem that commonly shows up when delay is in front of dirty amps. Use an effects loop and this will solve the problem. Your amp has a good one that would work well for this. When the amp is distorting both the dry signal and the repeats, it rarely sounds as good as it can.

ejoco

I am a big fan of running delays and reverb into the front of my amps. I almost never use the effects loop. However, i do realize I am in the minority with this opinion. The only tip i can give is keep experimenting, give yourself time to get used to new and different sounds, and then use the ones you liked best to make music. Delay pre-dirt is a little more unpredictable and you may find yourself dialing in settings on your flashback that you would never use if it was in the loop. Don't worry about that, just trust your ears and go with what sounds goods to you.

Trending Topics