Delay feedback loops

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jackie Treehorn, May 5, 2015.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

Lately I've been playing with putting a 3 band parametric eq in the feedback loop of a quality digital delay in order to achieve the shifting delay sounds you would get with a tape unit or analog delay or digital emulations. In my case, it's a Lexicon Jamman and an old Ashly single space 3 band parametric eq.

It's sort of a best of both worlds situation as it seems to produce the organic type of sounds without the noise and loss of definition/dynamics. Also with the three bands, you can push certain frequencies closer to oscillation giving more of a range of outside sounds.

It also appeals to my purist side as I can have a ton of effects/processing to the stuff I already played while keeping the stuff I play presently less altered.

So, I thought I'd start a thread to share ideas...

2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I used to rely on the effects loop of an ARDX20 pretty heavily. My favorite setup was to put a POG2 on a cello setting in the loop in order to get a soft, ambient pad beneath my playing. Downright ethereal!

3. ZaneW

ZaneW Member

I've got the MF-104M, even though I have plenty of options with the LFO, I'm also curious to know what others are running in the effects loop. An EQ makes a lot of sense.

4. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

You definitely sound like a guy that would love a diffusor control on your repeats. It really smears them out and removes that attack.

Playing with feedback loops can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I use an MPX G2, which has some amazing routing capabilities to place things both inside, and outside of the loop. By placing effects like EQ and gain inside of the loop, these effects are applied to each repeat, as they recirculate through the loop, so you get this continuous morphing effect as the effect is applied time and time again (this is a great technique for creating analog-voiced delays).

Some delays allow you to modulate the delay lines individually, which is a very cool effect and very different to a "standard" modulated delay. That is also a very cool thing.

I generally prefer to keep my modulations outside of the feedback loop (continuously applying modulation to each repeat tends to turn them into mush after a while, however fine adjustments can be made to create a semi-controlled diffusion layer).

I also love playing with reverb tails.

5. 9520575

9520575 Member

Tremolo, midi murf, pitchfork, ring mod, reverb, another delay, envelope filter, and my current favorite the moog phaser.

But i really haven't had a bad thing in the loop

6. tonewave

tonewave Member

love this concept, I've played with it before with a electrix repeater and mpx g2,
    had the repeater set to 90% feedback, and then tweaked the gain and eg with G2,
    got some amazing slowly evolving sonic journeys going

hydroquebec what's a diffusor?

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

How cool would it be to have a Boss Digital Delay with one of those little Zoom multiFX pedals in the loop?

8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

The older versions of the DD-3 and DD-5 can be modified to have an effects loop. I believe Analog Man and Keeley will do this mod, provided you have the correct version!

9. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Diffusors are groups of very short delays (like up to 20ms short) with lots of feedback/regeneration that are normally used in reverb structures. A diffusor will soften up a source by surrounding it with a small cloud of echoes. Another way to look at it would be that they affect the density of the repeats.

There are a lot of processors out there that have diffusion engines, such as the Timefactor (FilterPong's diffusor is within the feedback path, so delays diffuse more an more over time and Ultratap's diffusor is before the feedback path + adds chorus (i.e.: DiffChorus on the big Eventides), Timeline (I think it's called smear), Zoom MS100BT/MS70CDR, Lexicon racks, etc., etc.

I believe this is one of Steve Lukather's signature delay sounds that he uses in place of reverb.

You can actually do diffusion on your MPX by utilizing a detuner in the feedback paths of your delays. There is a "hidden" parameter that allows you to adjust the predelay of the detuner - that's your diffusion.

If your Boss DD-something will go 100% wet, then I would guess that you can use a Boss LS-2 to create a parallel loop.

Here are some demo sounds created using a Zoom CDR in a similar parallel configuration. I think this might be still on topic, as everything here was created by using effects in the paths of the pre-loaded delays and verbs to create "new" algorithms:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/area51fx/zoom-cdr-presets[/SOUNDCLOUD]