Delay...For me, maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BobbyRay, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I found that I was constantly trying to set my amp up to sound as good as possible with delay. Delay that I only used on maybe 3 songs per night.

Last couple of days just screwing around here in the house, I ripped the delay off my board and just started dialing in my cleans to get as hairy as I like, and then push it further with either a Zen, or a Fuzz, and find it to be a much better way for me to play. Everything seems more alive to me this way.

Anyone else find that they have to either work around a delay, or go sans delay?

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I did the same thing a long time ago. I tried to make delays work but I never could get what I wanted. In the end, a drive pedal or two and a Wah are all I use. Personally, I think my tone is better for it anyway. I do admire guys that can really make it work well though because it's tough.

3. BobbyRay

I have a good friend in the Detroit area who spent a good amount of time in your neck of the woods. Lawrence Daversa who goes by Laroosco! here on the board. I blame him for me getting a delay pedal to start with, LOL!

He played around Albuquerque quite a lot so maybe you saw him around there?

4. somedude

somedude Member

I hate delay (and reverb) on rhythm guitar, so I never use it in that regard. Messes everything up and kills the dynamics by filling in the gaps between your rhythm patterns. I'd never set an amp up to sound good with delay if it meant compromising my rhythm tone.

For leads though it's nice, and rather easy to use. You don't even have to dial it in very well.... the simple act of turning it on seems to work provided you don't have it set too loud.

5. BobbyRay

Not my experience at all. My context is single channel amps being pushed nice and hard with no effects loop. Delay just seemed to make the sound...well not as good for leads or anything else. I liked the ambience for certain things, but when the amp is distorting and your delay is in front of it, it just get ugly.

Maxon AD9, Blackbox Quicksilver, both are fantastic delays, and both leave me thinking I'm better off without delay.

6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The solution is simple- effects loop or bust!

I know what you mean though. if the majority of your tone is from cranking the amp, delays sound nasty out in front. I'm a delay addict, and I run my amps clean enough that most of my gain comes from my pedals- and that means that I need higher priced pedals. A loop solves the whole problem, the amp overdrive gets delayed, not the other way around. Sounds gorgeous.

7. BobbyRay

That really sums it up right there. I'm just addicted to my amp cranked, and then pushing it with some pedal. That's a recipe for ugly delay. Your recipe is exactly what delay requires. Clean amp (at the least) and effects loop and delay becomes gorgeous. I'd have to start over just about with regards to gear in order to incorparate delay into my sound. Bummer, because it can sound so flippin' good!

8. somedude

somedude Member

I have an Orange amp with no FX loop. Sounds great, provided you don't use a delay in front of it.

Yeah.... delay can sound good provided you leave the amp pretty clean sounding, but who the hell buys an Orange for it's clean tone? I know I didn't.

9. BobbyRay

We're on the same page there! I'm running either one or two Maz Jr's with pretty hairy cleans when my guitar is full up, and then going further with some gain and boost from a Zen or a Fuzz (Soul-Bender or Sunface) and man does delay sound bad when the amp is rippin'. It sounde good, not great, but good with the amps set up to stay as clean as I could keep them, but that was a compromise that I think I just can't live with.

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

it's all about the mix knob. through the loop you can run it a little "wetter", in the front you'll have to back off the mix a little more. it takes a bit of tweaking to get the right balance but it's worth the effort.

11. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i actually love delay in front of a cranked up hiwatt. even when cranked they tend to be fairly articulate and don't get overly muddy with delay in front.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I would say I play with some sort of delay on at least 50% of the time.

13. BobbyRay

It's been about a year of dinkin' around with delay with mixed results. delay that "works", but is average, or delay that sounds crappy.

I'll just have to settle for no delay I think! Cest' la vie. <sp?>

14. charmboy

charmboy Member

I've always felt this way. I keep an mxr carbon copy on my board for when I want to trail off, but I only use it in very specific spots. It's never just left on. Doesn't seem worth it to put in the loop, and even there, if your power tubes are cooking, it doesn't make a huge difference using the loop. For it to be perfect, you'd need to mix it in after the amp... which is never an easy task outside of the studio. I always think a hot driven amp with minimal outside effects sounds best!

15. somedude

somedude Member

The conclusion I've come to is that if you want to run that way you need a second amp for the pure wet sound (no dry mixed in). It sounds really good since there's no signal mixing in either the preamp or power amp stages, but it's a second amp you have to drag around and I don't like delay enough to do bother with that.

16. BobbyRay

How do you do that? Is that something I could do with my two Maz Jr's and one of my delays (Quicksilver, Ad9)?

Noticed your location. Are you fom there?

17. somedude

somedude Member

Just visiting for a number of months. Work related.

I've never used a Quicksilver, but the AD9 has two outputs. I believe one is pure dry and one is pure wet, though I could be wrong.

The only problem I've found with delays that work that way is that when you bypass them both outputs become dry (rather than muting the wet).... so you go from having one dry amp to having two dry amps, which is a big jump in volume and thickness. It makes turning the delay back on less than thrilling.

18. Wooley

Wooley Member

I guess those of us who play into a clean amp just have it easy! :moon

Oh, and here's a dancing banana: :banana

19. BobbyRay

Mocking me with smiley butts and dancing bananas gets you nowhere man...well it's fun for you and all, and you get a kick out of it, but for me...it just kinda sucks.;)

20. BobbyRay

You are correct about the way the AD9 works, you end up with 2 dry amps. The Quicksilver has a simple "in" and "out" setup as well as it's own effects loop "out" and "in".

Could I run my regular setup of one amp dry, plugged into the Hi input, come out of the lo input into a delay set completely wet, and out of that to the other amp?

Take care over there bud!