Delay help. Ad9, DMM and digital solutions.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by yannis, Jun 28, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all,

So yesterday, i tried some delays for the first time in my life after reading through vast amounts of reviews/threads etc.

What i tried?

Line6 Echopark, Ibanez AD9, Marshall Echohead (meh).

I found the echopark very interesting. Most notably i liked the swell mode and the normal mode. Furthermore i didnt notice much difference between the tape/analog/digital settings. In conclusion it did sound very nice but something was missing from the sound, one of those variables that one cannot quantify.

AD9RI: WOW its the first time i tried an analog delay. The missing variable that i described in the echopark missing, was there in spades. I was happy with the sounds at any settings and the pedal produced some strange drone like uncontrollable sounds when the mix level was dimed (oscilation?). The 300ms time seemed enough for me (60s 70s hardrock and RHCP).

So whats the question. Does this mean that i like analog and not digital? Is the ibanez AD9 a sound solution?

Furthermore, my other option which i havent tried so far is the EHX DMM. Only theoretical drawbacks.... size and power supply and the 90$ more expensive price tag (AD9=90GBP, DMM=145GBP).

Maxon AD9, AD999 are out of the question as well as ML etc... too much money and difficult availability where i live (Europe).

So i would be greatfull for your opinions. The basic idea is to get a good simple analog delay and later on complement it with something like a DD20.

Thanks

2. erksin

erksin Member

If you don't use the self-oscillation/feedback tones - add the Jacques Prisoner to your list. It has the same amount of delay time as the AD-9, and has modulation as well. A VERY cool feature for adding a more realistic tape delay type tone, IMO.

3. yannis

yannis Member

Cheers man, the only problem is the availability of the prisoner in the UK.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Really - is it the EU/France thing..?

Seems like it should be easier to try one over there...

5. yannis

yannis Member

the prisoner though is at around 260$ from France. The Ibanez is 165$

Can i go wrong by getting an AD9?

6. Jack

Jack Member

I think the AD9 is fine. One thing you have to keep in mind is that analog delays have shorter delay time, so as long as you don't need anything longer than what the AD9 can do, you're probably good to do. Given your price range and location, I can't think of another analog delay pedal that would be an option for you-unless you want to try something used on ebay, but I don't know what's going to beat the AD9 for that price.

7. yannis

yannis Member

True that Jack, the maxon solutions are more than twice the price of the ibanez AD9 as well as the HBE mimicII. The only relatively closely priced analog delay is the EHX DMM but i do not know soundwise how that compares to the AD9.

To be honest with you, the longer delay settings on the Echopark (ie more than 300-400ms) sounded like "too much" for me... on the verge of looping.

Maybe the ideal situation is to have a good analog delay like the AD9RI for up to 300ms and then a good digital/modelling down the road for stuff like 1-2sec+looping (like the DD20). Does this sound reasonable?

8. Jack

Jack Member

A lot of people have both an analog and a digital delay on their boards to address that issue.

9. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I really, really love my EHX DMM...i dont have that much experiance with the others but the DMM is a fantastic pedal.

10. yannis

yannis Member

Anyone that tried the AD9 vs the DMM?

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I think you will find that you will really miss the warmth of the analog if you go digital. Maybe not, but I definitely did. The DMM may be a good solution if you are trying to keep the price lower.
    I had the Maxon AD9 for about a year and I really liked it, but I did find it needed Analogman's mods to solve the volume drop issue. There was a significant drop in the signal volume when the AD9 was engaged. I highly recommend his mod. It made the pedal pretty much perfect except that I eventually wanted slightly longer delays. So, I sold it and found a Maxon AD900 for about 30 bucks more and I am done with my delay quest. It is very warm. I only use it with minimal repeats and delay times just a little longer than the AD9.
    The cool thing is, I can still get the faster slapback delays if I need them, but I also have the longer ones available in the same box. I have seen several FS here in the emporium lately for very reasonable prices.
    Good luck!

12. yannis

yannis Member

Thank you very much guys!

So as far as i understand either the AD9 or the DMM will serve my purposes :)

13. froglord

froglord Member

Interesting thread! Time for me to de-lurk and say: you can get the Jacques Prisoner in the UK here:

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/effects/fxpedalDetail.asp?prID=2166&sbc=^15^

Price is £169. I don't know if that's out of your budget. Doesn't seem toooo bad for an analog delay with modulation.

14. yannis

yannis Member

Cheers frog, but the fair price for the prisoner is around 130GBP, so its out of the question basically at 169. Thank you very much for the finding though mate!

Sorry if i sound tiring and repetitive, but has anyone compared a DMM with the AD9RI?

15. froglord

froglord Member

We do seem to pay over the odds for a lot of stuff here in the UK. It's a shame there are so few British boutique effects manufacturers. The only one I can think of is D*A*M, who sound great for fuzz, but do little else. If I had the electronics chops and the inclination to start a new business ... Unfortunately I have neither!

Good luck with the delay quest and let us know what you decide!