Delay help please..

Turi

..hi guys.
I know you're sick of me, but eh..

Anyway. Not happy with my EHX SMMH and am hoping for some suggestions, not too fussed about price because I'm not in any rush to purchase and can just save up for whatever will do the trick.

I suppose I'll try to explain how I intend to use delay..

..I'm actually not a big fan of delay - I like how it sounds when other people use it, but I for one can never really get along with it, especially as an always on kind of deal - just doesn't work for me.

That said, I do want to get along with it and I do want to like it - loads of songs I write have delayed parts in my head, but when it comes to playing/recording them, I can never make it interesting enough or match what's in my head.

..what I'm after is a quirky delay, that can do some weird stuff yet still nail nice, warm 'normal' delays - preferably on the darker side as my amps pretty bright as is and I'm not wanting to treble everyone to death.

Something that's fun to use, and has some cool tricks up it's sleeve, maybe weird pitch shifting, weird modulation.. that kind of thing.
But I don't want to be locked into that sound.

I've had a Digitech Timebender before that is actually a really awesome pedal - but the repeats are almost too pristine for the sound that's in my head, even when you make then darker, and you're locked into the crazy stuff when you pick it.

What I've been looking at is the Diamond Quantum Leap - from the clips, it looks like it's got some warm/darkish repeats, and then also some neat little tricks that you're not locked into if I want to spice up a bridge section or an intro (which I definitely want to do - I want something quirky/original).

Are there any other options, or is the Quantum Leap my only choice for a quirky, interesting delay with some cool tricks that DOESN'T lock you into that sound without bending over and messing with the pedal?

I'm actually having a difficult time finding anything else that's along the same lines.

Cheers.

Mosfed

The mighty mighty
The H9 is legit.

My favorite two delays right now though are El Capistan and the Moog Mf-delay. Neither can really do much crazy stuff though

Turi

With the H9 - in a live situation, how would I have it go from normal delay stuff to weirder stuff for a bridge or intro?

I know I said I can just save for whatever I want, but $500 for one pedal? Crazy.

Turi

That was a quicker than normal honeymoon with the SMMH, Lithsp. ;)
Yeah, I did update my SMMH thread too.

I don't get the volume drop, almost the opposite actually.
..and the looper is just terrible to use. It makes no sense how it works, totally impractical.

Turi

Think of it as a mini Eventide Eclipse, and the price suddenly seems much more palatable. :)
Just googled it. $1995USD. **** that.

Yeah.

Maybe I lied. Money is an object now.

Even if I saved up and got one, there's no way in hell I could justify a $500 pedal on my board - I know the H9, TimeFactor and TimeLine all do more than just delay stuff, but eh.

Aren't you locked into that one sound?

I mean, with the Quantum Leap (admittedly, still way pricey for me), I can have normal delay stuff, oh, bridge comes up? Spice it up with a little pitch ramp and then off we go back into normal stuff.

I can't have a $500 pedal that would be used for about 15 seconds in maybe a couple of songs.

The Quantum Leap has a chorus, flanger and a comb filter though, all of which do sound usable to me, so I could almost justify the $300AUD~ on that since it'd cover a lot of ground.

I'm definitely not set on a Quantum Leap at all, I just think so far it's still probably the only one that would actually do what I want it to do.

I'm not wanting to have to mess with presets or use programs on my PC - just something that's got some nice normal delays, and then also some cool trippy/quirky/unique stuff that you're totally not locked into, just to spice up an intro or bridge or whatever and help me get a bit creative/set me apart from other bands in my area.

la noise

I have a Quantum Leap. I think there are quirkier delays out there.
It does the pitch ramp up/down thing... and that is cool. Not sure
how many times you could use that feature in a series of songs, though? :huh

It does have all the filters/chorus/flange, too. That means it a keeper for me.
It just does too many cool things not to have around. Not to mention it's basic
delay tone is killer. :aok

For quirky you have the Red Panda Particle Delay. Or go back to the Hardwire
that gives you plenty of delay options in a small, price-friendly package. Or
something like a Boss DD-5.... which will give you reverse and hold, as well as
panning delay if you ever run out to more than one amp.

Turi

Cheers mate.

The pitch ramp thing might be exactly what I want, just for a small section of a song here and there, and the chorus/filter/flange thing seems cool as they aren't effects I can actually see myself using a whole lot so it'd be nice not to have to fork out the $$$ for separate pedals.

The Particle delay totally looks awesome to me.. but I'm scared I wouldn't know what to do with it. It does sound really, really cool though.

The DL-8 was awesome. Doesn't get crazy or quirky though.
Sucks I had to sell that stuff but eh.. was lucky I did when I did because I had to use the cash from those (and some other things tbh) to get a new car since mine blew its head gasket.

I'm planning on selling this EHX SMMH and not having to chip in a whole lot more $$$ to get whatever new pedal I want now..

The Particle is a bit more expensive than the QL, and a whole lot weirder.. hm.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
At risk of of having sneers and jeers thrown my way ....

Based on what you are looking for, which seems to focus on a great amount of versatility in one pedal/effect, I would suggest the TC Flashback.

It is a solid Delay Pedal; period. Maybe not the best at any one sound but a jack of all trades. To note: there is a big difference in "not being the best" as compared to simply being bad or cheap which this pedal is not.

For $150 average price, highlights include:
  • The pedal offers a tap-tempo feature (although implemented a bit differently)
  • Provides common sub-divisions via switch
  • There is a trick (I learned on here) that you can loop the pedal back into itself, taking advantage of the strereo inputs/outputs, to achieve some cool sounds/effects
  • The TonePrint feature allows limitless options both in downloads available and the TonePrint software where you can tweak to your hearts content.
  • The Control Knobs can also be slightly altered as to what they control via the TonePrint software

I am learning how to incorporate delay into my daily usage as well as to learn the strengths and purposes of the various types of delays. This pedal has so much flexibility, built by a solid pedal design company, and has a fantastic price. To me ... that speaks to your needs.

Once you have better clarity as to how, when, and what type of delays you are going to use ... then go out and spend the $$$ on something that excels for those particular needs. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
I saw that you have seen the new TC Triple Delay (on another thread) ... probably coming out soon. I had looked at the TC Nova Delay which seemed to allow for great flexibility and also had saved presets. I went with the Flashback due to a smaller size and it being more affordable. I also read that the sound was a bit better all around due to the un-altered pass-through of the original tone.

You could go with two different pedals. Like having the MXR Carbon Copy, which has received stellar praise, and then combine with something like the Flashback.

Just trying to provide some different ideas.

la noise

Another option is the EH Deluxe Memory Boy. Can go beyond quirky
into WTF was that??

celticelk

I'm not exactly sure what you're aiming for here. You want the ability to switch between delay sounds without having to bend down to mess with the pedal, but you also say that you don't want presets, which seems like the obvious way to achieve that. Can you maybe be a little more specific?

Turi

slesnick3 - Yeah, I could always just get a normal delay and some other pedal for spicing stuff up.

la noise - Cool I'll check them out, cheers.

celticelk - Not really, but I do know what I want in my head.

I don't want to need to bend down to mess with the pedal, and I don't want to have to mess with PC programs.. I've never been too into presets.

I suppose take the Quantum Leap for example - I could set that up for normal delay, and then there's the other button there that lets it go and do weird stuff, without having to bend down, and without it being a preset.

I sing as well, can't really have something that requires messing about with by bending down.
The Quantum Leap still looks like it's the only pedal that will actually let me do what I want, without messing with presets etc and without locking me into that one sound.

I suppose the Quantum Leap would be an example of what I want to be able to do - nice, normal delays, little button or something that lets me spice it up without swapping presets/bending down.

All I want is a normal delay pedal that can go weird without locking me into that one sound or without presets which would require going back and forwards and messing with the tempo etc..

dsiew

Only recently plugged in my Timefactor again after having it sit on my shelf for a good long while . I too am not a big fan of too many options but this pedal does let you do a lot more than just delay. There is modulation, chorus, vibrato, trems, wahs, verbs, a looper and also bitcrushing available. Of course, the heart of it is delay but the other effects do help in adding some flair and 'spice it up'.

With 50 banks of 2 sounds per bank, you have 100 presets but you can trim it down to what you want so you can set it to scroll through much fewer presets. That will save you bending over to twiddle knobs. Also, it has a knob lock function to help you against unwanted setting changes during live shows.

However, it is very near to the H9 price category new, so it looks like the QL might be the ticket in your crusade! Else jump on this quick!: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west...or-dual-digital-delay-guitar-pedal/1058801456

Trending Topics