Delay: How important is tap tempo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by geekformayor, Mar 17, 2015.

1. geekformayor

geekformayor Member

When buying a new delay pedal, how important is tap tempo? Is it a requirement to have a tap-tempo on your board? Are you instantly less interested in a new pedal if it doesn't have tap?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Nope, never felt the need for tap tempo, so no.

3. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

On my nano board, yeah it is. You know what, it's not so much that tap tempo is a requirement as having a second delay available is. I could be happy with a non-tap El Capistan as long as I had a favorite switch to go between different delay times (and tones of course).

On my big board, it's the same story. I would be fine without tap, but I want different delay types available to me.

4. the tourist

the tourist Member

Yes. Unless it has the ability to accept tap from an external source. But that's kinda the same.

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

6. chrislashley

chrislashley Member

As long as one of my delays has it, then the others don't. I'm covered with the Memory Man 2, so I'm looking at adding a tape delay and could go either way.

7. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

No, thanks. Don't need it, won't pay for it.

8. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

I think answers vary based on the setting and style of music played. If there are any rhythmic delay parts to be played, tap tempo for live use is a must. But if you just use delay to fill space, or you primarily play in the studio and can take the time to adjust delay times, it's not a big deal.

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

For more pristine delays (ie most digital) tap comes in very handy. For lofi, warm, atmospheric, I prefer randomness and chaos or tweaking with my toe.

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

For analog delay, I generally just use it for slapjack, so no tap tempo required. For my digital delay, tap tempo is a must. I even run my digitech dl8 with a looper pedal, so I can leave it in tap tempo mode and bypass it with the true bypass looper.

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Tap tempo isn't as necessary for me as it is for my drummer(s). Delay, it seems, always confuses them and I have to keep micro-adjusting my tempo.

12. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I thought tap tempo would be more useful before I actually got a tap tempo delay. I almost never make adjustments via tap tempo, and if I do, it's usually to get an approximate speed rather than synchronising to a song tempo.

13. rydia is hot

rydia is hot Member

It's a must. I do a lot with dual delays set to different subdivisions. It's just not practical to try and get two non-tap-tempo delays synched up like that.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Not at all. I like spacey, washy delay... or slap. I cover both bases with two delays - Echorec and Kilobyte.

15. Monts

Monts Member

As someone said above, for any type of rhythmic delay, tap tempo is necessary.

16. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I really liked the sound of my Skreddy Echo and my EQD Dispatch Master but I found that I really needed tap tempo for some of the songs that we do.

So, I bought a Diamond MLJr. instead and sold the others.

-bEn r.

17. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

don't need it. I'm not playing syncopated delays like Edge.

18. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

I use a Carbon Copy. I switch settings ALL the time, by hand, to use it for everything from slapback to extreme spacey delay. I have become a master at on the fly switching to get the tempo I need (even in the middle of a song if I am a tiny bit off). It is actually kind of ridiculous, but it has worked for me thus far. One of the bands I am in even has an intro to a song where I play spacey licks, then switch the CC's knobs to self oscillate in freaky ways, then put them back to a certain tempo for the rest of the song.

19. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

20. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever used it, not even just to try it out on some of the digital stuff I've owned over the years. That said, I can see why it might be very useful.