Delay in front of old plexi

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jgmoyers, Jul 12, 2006.

1. jgmoyers

jgmoyers Member

Never mind, I just talked to my tech and he will be modding it next week to put an effects loop in, so problem solved.

Thanks anyhow

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Dude, you sure you wanna do that? Is this an old, all original Plexi?

Must be careful about Mods to old, all original amps. Drill ye no holes ....

Dana

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Don't do it. Run a line out from a load box, put that through a delay and run it to another amp.

Leave the Old Plexi I assume an original not reissue alone.

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I agree with what 908 just said. In fact, that is what EVH did in the early days. you cold probably use a Hotplate's line out and somehow configure your plexi so that you could run back into the power amp section after the echo so that you won't need a second amp. I recommend calling Martin Golub at Custom Audio Electronics (818) 763-8988, but do not hack up that amp!!

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Just put the darn delay in front of the amp

6. Don L

Don L Member

+10000000

7. shakti

shakti Member

Am I the only one who smells a troll? I saw this post and thought I'd reply along the same lines, then thought "waaait a minute"... newly registered, and a post that *appears* to be edited and says exactly what the vintage police (myself included) abhors to hear...

Don't take the bait!

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Interesting. Well if he is hopefully he doesn't try to take over the board like a few other nameless ones. I have run Echoplex's in front of plexis for years as does Jimmy Page and don't forget Marc Ford and Rich Robinson who run TTE's in front of 100 watt heads at loud volume live with The Crowes.

9. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I run a Maxon AD-900 into the front end of my JTM-45 and it sounds fine.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

You could also try the 'poor man's' effects loop. Plug the guitar into the 'high' input #1, then come out of the 'low' input #1 into the delay, then out of the delay into the 'high' input #2. Use the Ch. 2 volume as the 'return level'.

Caveat: I haven't actually tried this in a Marshall Plexi. Works pretty good in a 4x10 Bassman.

Is the original post a 'real' post?

Dana

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I am running my 45 in a similar manner...

Using a Lehle A/B/Y, the A side goes straight to the Brilliant input of the amp. The B side hits a tuner, and then a full wet delay, before hitting the darker input of the amp.

I am really pleased with the results.

This is what makes the Gear Page so very good.....
    Regardless of some snotfaced kiddie troll, we musicians have our own insights and experiences and simply look over such tripe in order to share our own knowledge and seek insight.

M.E.

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

mod it up, man...those old marhsalls don't have near the gain 4 2dayz muzik. add some nobs to the front and bak and may some more LEDs. :BOUNCE

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Cool idea...true bypass for the delay, too! :)

And I agree with the guys whove said tape echos work well out front, as well as analog delays. My theory is that part of this is due to the high end roll-off, that keeps the repeats sounding warmer and more rounded.
    Greg

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

I stereo plug either a Line 6 DL4 or a Boss DD20 into inputs 1 and 2 of my Super Lead or JTM-45 RI.

15. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

YEAH!!!!!!!!!11111 THOSE LEDS LOOK SO BADASS IN MY ENGL AND MY FRAMUS!!!!!!! OMG L0L0L0L!!!!!!!!1

16. janalex

janalex Member

Be mindful the the rec level when using the Echoplex in front of an old tube amp. They can make the amp exponentially noisier.