Delay. Is there any point...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by old crow, Feb 7, 2008.

1. old crow

old crow Member

in buying an expensive delay pedal, if all you want is a basic slapback or basic longer delay.
    Wouldn't alot of extra knobs / circuitry just muddy the sound ?

2. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I like Analog, (Maxon AD-80) as it is warmer. A Boss DD-3 has accurate repeasts, but is a bit colder souding as it is digital. I think you should just pay for what you need, some have backwards tracking and lots of other bells and whistles, (DD-6). Analog delays have short delay times, but are rather expensive.

Jack

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i guess it just depends how picky you are about the tone, decay, versatility, digital vs. analog, capabilities etc.

personally, i think if you're just gonna use it for slapback or slightly longer delay you don't need anything too fancy. i don't use delay for anything other than a little slapback for a couple of songs. i use a basic ibanez ad-9 analog delay that i'm pretty happy with and covers all the ground i need. could use a better buffer though, IMO, so i'll probably buy a looper for it.

4. jhc

jhc Senior Member

For people who like analog delays, muddy can be a good thing ;)

5. 205

205 Senior Member

Extra knobs / circuitry wouldn't necessarily muddy the sound but...
    I totally agree. No there is no point in an expensive delay if they're the only sounds you're after.
    Lots of good, affordable delays on the market like the DE-7 and DD-3.

The DE-7 is great as it can do lo-fi and hi-fi delays via the echo delay switch.

6. old crow

old crow Member

I have a DD-3. Have had it for yrs...too my ears it sounds great and does the jerb. The bloody adaptor won't work with it though :messedup so it eats batteries.

7. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've become hooked on the tap tempo feature of my DLS EchoTap. Gotta' have tap-tempo for gigging.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used both and I think there's arguments for both. For example, on my practice board I've got a Danelectro delay, the tiny cheap one, set for slap-back. It sounds decent, does what I want. OTOH, there is NO comparison to my recently tuned up EP2, which gives slap-back an organic, bouncy character that no pedal I've used has been able to cop. For a warm, clean delay that just fits really well, nothing has knocked the Way Huge Aquapuss off the top of the heap. And yet, at church I'm using a DD2 and an Echopark because they work well and sound fine. If you just need a delay to get by, buy the First Act at Toys R Us. $50, done. If you want the best sounding delay there is, prepare for a long voyage of trying and buying and you'll probably still end up with 5 or 6 for different things!

9. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I'd vote for the DE7 if you don't really need any fancy delay stuff. You could even get two of them (one slapback, one long delay) for a low price if you wanted.

10. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I much prefer digital delays over electronic analog delays (not tape delays which are of course analog). To me, analog delays sound nothing like tape delays... it's a myth... they are noisy, too lo-fi... I see more professionals using Boss digital delays than any analog delay.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah..I agree...for the price, and what you get. it is great.

This also is one of those delays that take little or no time to get "used to", and one can in short time be setting the delay visually and know how it is going to sound. It is stable, has some very nice sound in it, and easy to set. This also is such, at least for me, the simply by moving the "range" three-way switch I could go from my perfect "Red House" style delay (like Hendrix delay in Read House) to a slapback, and back again.

Also as was mentioned, it has a toggle switch to go between echo and delay, echo being more tape-like...more dark on the repeats, and slightly quicker decay I think, where delay was more hi-fi.

I used mine for a LONG time and some nights was absolutlely floored by how good it sounded. I ought to drag it out again...often we move on thinking "I love this delay...but there must be even better ones out there..." and forget just how good the older one sounded.

Actually...reflecting on what I just wrote, I realized I went over to the H2O (which is still most often on my pedalboard, or always on ONE of them) because I loved its' chorus, and though it's delay is slightly different, it also easy to set, and sounds very nice...
    The chorus got me to add the H2O and since the delay (they call it echo) is already bound to it, I decided to drop the DE-7 but I still have it, and plan on buying a single VS Chorus.

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Check out the Cmatmods Deeelay, it's a digital delay but made to sound like an Analog delay, 3 knobs with True ByPass and very quiet and not that expensive!

13. Grap

Grap Member

I use a Marshall Echohead. I love digital delays. I few years back I tried out a Boss DM-2 that came into a local used store. It took me about a minute to remember why I bought a DD-3 all those years ago! :)

Anyhow, take a look at the Echohead. Ok, so it's a digital modeller disguised as a stomp box, but it'll do digital delay, (simmed) analog delay, (simmed) tape delay, (simmed) tape multi tap, reverse delay & phased delay. It has a choice of outputs (One of them is buffered & carries over the delay after you switch the box into bypass) and an input for a tap tempo pedal. Nice little box.

14. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Thanks for the mini-review on the DE-7, SBB. That's very helpful since I bought one from phishmarisol off the effects emporium yesterday.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

No problem! Betting you will like it!

16. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

For slapback a simple analog (or digital) 3-knob pedal will do.

I had, and sold off an expensive delay; I loved the presets, but I could not get over how the delay time would "jump" or glitch when you changed it. I like a delay to SMOOTHLY change the delay time as you turn the knob. It seems like the newer-designed digitals are forsaking this feature. I beleive all analog delays will do this.

As mentioned above you can get very good at "visually" setting the delay w/ a little practice. So, for me, features like tap tempo are not important. Also modeling features like tape/mod/lo-fi are less important in a "slapback" application IMO.

PS I'm waiting for the new MXR.:eek:

17. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Member

It's really rig dependent, and I'm sure you'd agree.

Take my rig for instance. I run some relatively hot pickups into a TS-9 type pedal, etc. and lastly into my delay unit...then to the front end of my amp. My amp gets some of the "drive" tone on it's own and then is pumped up by my pedals.

I tried a couple of digital pedals with varying results, but the way the amp smeared them was pretty ugly IMHO. From cheaper Boss stuff up to a Blackbox Quicksilver (fantastic delay unit) I found that they just didn't sit in with my amp quite right. They worked very well with a friends rig, just not mine.

Analog delay turned out to be just what the doctor ordered for me. I picked up a Maxon AD-9, and it really seems to work for my situation. The amp still smears it when playing flat-out, but because the repeats are warmer and less pronounced than a digital unit, they seem to duck out of the way a little bit and meld with my overall sound more.

I think it's finding out what works for your rig. YMMV, but I doubt it when it comes to the "it depends on your rig" part. I beleive that to be an absolute truth!:)