Delay Junkie needs advice..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DocGonzo, Feb 19, 2006.

1. DocGonzo

DocGonzo Member

Whats up...Due to my Re-201 having a worn out pinch roller, and not seeing anyway to remedy it in the immediate future, I sent out my Line6 Dl-4 To keeley for his mods... Though the mods made an improvement, I feel i just don't like the thing.. I went out and bought a DLS-echo tap, and it's not bad, but I feel something else might suit me a bit more... Im on the wait list for the Echo-czar, but am not too sure about that yet due to comparison of the MM..Can't do the MM due to PB Real Estate.... Now im leaning towards the Diamond Memory Lane, Trex Replica, or just dropping the dough for the TTE... Please help a fellow GASer in need... when is this site going to post meetings for a 12 step program...

2. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

I dig my old RE-150, so I think I know where you're coming from. And I can't get my heart around the green Line 6 thing either, I've had two and sold them both fast.

On the other hand, I've had a Memory Lane for a couple weeks and it is a really vibey delay if you want it to be. Cool voicing on the tone control, plus the amount of warble is very fine-tunable -- not random like a Space Echo, but great character nonetheless. Quiet, reliable, and you know it'll work every time you power up. Plus it even has tap tempo. It takes up a lot of pedalboard space, but man what a great pedal. I bought mine purely as a stepping stone to hold me over while waiting for my Echoczar, but meanwhile have fallen in love with this Canadian beauty.

3. Lammy

Lammy Member

I used a EH DMM for a while, then started using a line6 echo park, which i kinda like, but i heard a friend use the Memory lane and i ended ordering one. It sounded really amazing...

4. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I still love my DMM if it just had a bit longer delay time I would never need anything else....besides maybe an echoplex EP3.

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

After your disappointment with the DL4 you might not want to hear this, but I'd suggest the Boss DD20.

I'm not sure exactly what you didn't like about the DL4, but the DD20 sounds better IMO, and the tape and mod settings are excellent. The addition of a tone knob as well as the ability to mix the level of the delay are powerful tools.

Until the Echoczar turns up, the DD20 will get you through.

I have a DMM and prefer the DD20. My favorite analog delay is the Ibanez AD202, but that's a rack unit, so ... nevermind.

6. morgan

morgan Guest

What about an AD900 or AD999? They're incredible delays, small footprint, well-built. Darkish, beautiful organic repeats. ANalogman does an expression pedal mod.

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I use tap tempo constantly. So I've tried a few tap tempo pedals...

* Line 6 Echo Park - They should have called THIS pedal the honey bee because it goes buzzzzzzzzz.

* Line 6 DL-4 - There are some really nice sounds in here. I've owned two because I like the filter delay and the easy access to multiple settings. Ended up getting rid of both because they mess with your basic tone in a very noticable way.

* Boss DD-20 - This is a really nice pedal. I've used one for a long time. The mod delay is really sweet if you decrease the mod speed and increase the depth. Tape delay is excellent. The tap function works the best of anything I've tried. Doesn't affect your sound so you can tap in the middle of a song without missing a beat. Setting delay in terms of notes is really useful. Compared to the boutique delays, this one sounds a little processed or "distant".

* DLS EchoTap - Really nice sounding. Tone control is very useful. Tapping works well. Can't do dotted eighth delays unless you're really good at tapping and counting.

* Memory Lane - Very likeable delay. Best tone control I've ever used. Nice mod function. Easy for repeats to get away from you so it's best used with a foot controller. Nice to have a loop. I ended up sending mine back because it warps the sound when you tap so tapping while your playing doesn't really work out too well.

T-Rex Replica - Just got one of these. It's by far the coolest pedal I've ever tried. (Remember, delay is a big part of my sound). I can get all my essential delay sounds including dotted eighth notes and tape/analog. Using my MojoVibe's vibrato produces nice mod delay. The thing that's been exciting is that I modded the depth and repeats knobs with some strat knobs fitted with lego tires so it's easy to adjust things on the fly. Besides this, even though it's a digital delay, they figured out how to make the repeats control work like an analog delay. When you turn it up, you get a really vibey atmospheric reverb that is really useful to me. And if you turn it wide open, it will take off on you. Nice. I think this one is the keeper.

John

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had the TTE, DLS, and others, but the one remaining is the T-Rex. Listen to the Sonny Landruth live CD, it's all over it.

9. basscracker

basscracker Guest

www.fuzzorama.com

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Im still diggin the Echo Park, but I have a good one too,so...

And I really like the tone of the latest SIB Echodrive its tube and warm/fat tapish, and it has an insert to control the repeat times with a volume pedal

I have high hopes for the new Jacques Prisoner analog delay with modulation, small foot print too

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have one of the old ones and it's not bad either.

12. DocGonzo

DocGonzo Member

if im between the memory lane and the replica...whatd ud take?

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

DocGonzo,
    Personally, I'd go with the Memory Lane.
    Analog V. Digital.
    'nough said.

14. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I've tried both. Now I own the Memory Lane. A great delay! The tone control ets it apart from everything else I've tried!

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good information...just wondering, are any of the above capable of keeping the delay going even when you turn off the pedal? Letting it die out?

That's something I really have been interested in, I think I would like being able to turn on an echo/delay, do a riff, turn it off and keep playing while the riff echos til it dies out.

17. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

>> Replica vs Memory Lane

If you want to tap during a song, the Replica mutes the delay and the ML warps the sound, like when you turn the delay time knob. Muting is a lot less disruptive. This was a huge difference for me and the way I use delay.

ML has the Replica beat for tone control (you can choose either hi cut or low cut - really cool), built-in mod, and effects loop.

Replica has ML beat for footprint and simplicity. Like I said earlier, because of the way it's laid out, it's easy to put big knobs on it and control depth and repeats with your foot.

John

18. mrkz1974

mrkz1974 Member

Hey guys. Here are my 2 cents:

• Diamond Memory Lane: I had two of these and although I loved the analog sound, the knobs kept coming off! For $429, the last thing I should worry about is the knobs! It can only do 550ms, it can't do 1/8 notes unless you get the mod done by Diamond; this mod is on the SIDE of the pedal not the top. If you decide to get this pedal buy the crossover polarity cable they sell ($13 with shipping) to power it using a PP2+ (you can also use this cable to power up other Diamond pedals like the HALO CHORUS which I have and love). No presets.
    • T-REX Replica or TC Electronic Vintage Delay: These two are the same pedal. One of the best digital delay pedals out there. However, these are 12V pedals, and do not have an expression pedal option (they do have a MIDI jack). No presets.
    • Line 6 DL4: Great features but lots of reliability issues. Get the keeley mod if possible.
    • Boss DD-20: Currently on my pedal board. Great tone and features; I currently use it with an external TAP TEMPO pedal to stomp through my presets. Some units have been known to be noisy, but my isn't and have it on a loop strip.
    • Line 6 ECHO PARK: No brainer for the price, sound and footprint. I was impressed, not expecting anything real good out of it. It is also currently on my pedal board.
    Having said all this, if you need a delay pedal right away, get something you can resell fast once the EVENTIDE TIME FACTOR starts shipping. I know I'm one of many who are on the awaiting list.

19. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

I believe he is no longer in business.