Delay Pedal For Lead Guitar

Nonvintage

Mainly playing old school Rock/Blues with a Princeton, Deluxe or Super Reverb amp. Clean boost used are EP or RC Boost. What delay pedal will broaden my lead tone and what settings should I try? Thanks.

eltorrero

Mainly playing old school Rock/Blues with a Princeton, Deluxe or Super Reverb amp. Clean boost used are EP or RC Boost. What delay pedal will broaden my lead tone and what settings should I try? Thanks.
Old school= analog or tape simulation. So, Boss DM2W or Dunlop Echoplex. I have both and they are great. Settings will be very light on blues and dependant on what you want on rock

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
Deep Blue Delay is perfect if you don't need tap tempo and are a set it and forget it type guy.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
some great suggestions!

Dark and sits into the mix? Carbon copy.
Bright and more apparent delays? dd3!

then there's the world of big ol delays - cant go wrong these days =)

good luck and have fun!!

I would suggest:

Way Huge Aqua-Puss for bright slapback, country style

MXR Carbon Copy for darker repeats that sit behind your guitar tone

Dunlop Echoplex for tape-y goodness in your repeats for more character

Pedalometrist

Diamond MLJr is great for this — plus it has tap tempo which I find is very useful for lead playing delays since you more often than not want them at least semi close to the BPM of the song (least I do!).

Mod to taste, mix 35%, delay 370ms to start (varies on the delay knob but on MLJr 4th mode I reckon it’s around delay knob just past noon or so), and repeats set to 5-7.

I find this is a great base setting for solos. Then you can use the tap tempo switch to change the delay time to better suit whatever you’re playing and just leave the knobs as is!

hangten

It is hard to top the price, quality, and number of sounds of the...Echo Park.

it is a GREAT pedal.
Despite its weight I use it more than my El Capistan.

StompBoxBlues

One trick is to make sure it has a mix knob. With a mix knob it is pretty easy to get those soaring sounds, even if the tone or other aspect of the delay sound is not ideal, you can drop down the delay, but it’s still there and gives depth.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
The ‘starters’ are Carbon Copy, Boss DD, Memory Man. The MXR Echoplex is excellent.

If you want something versatile for experimentation, the Alexander pedals are great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom