Delay Pedal (help me pick)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LaceSensor1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Here are a few I've been looking at.

Strymon El Capistan
    Deluxe Memory Man
    EP103
    Carbon Copy
    Panther Cub

I'm looking for a no frills analog sounding delay (does Strymon fit this). I don't need a huge range of delay time, this won't be used as a looper. I'm just looking for something with a warm,organic, tone.

2. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

I'm really leaning towards the Memory Man....anyone have positive/negatives on this pedal. It looks like it may require its own power supply...

3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Depending which DMM you're looking at there are some quirks, but it is a very warm, lush, organic delay. The older big box ones often have a wall wart attached, and the XO requires something stupid like 24v. The TT550 or TT1100 are 9V though, so much more pedalboard friendly

4. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I've played most of those and I'd personally go with a DMM or Carbon Copy, especially if you're looking for a no-frills sort of thing. The El Cap is so so good, but it's a lot of pedal.

5. Slevin

Slevin Member

If you're looking for warm, no frills, it doesn't get much better than the Maxon ad-999. I'd take it 10 times out of 10 over the carbon copy.

BLNKSN likes this.
  6. rummy

rummy Member

If you like the old memory man, look into Way Huge Echo Puss. It's a great analog delay that does the DMM thing very well.

7. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Ease of use, plug and play. Best bet there is the El Cap and Carbon Copy. If you have a line level effects loop do the El Cap

8. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Empress is fantastic
    Nova Delay great for gigging IMHO

9. snouter

snouter Member

For warm and organic signal, assuming you guitar goes into a tube amp, I would suggest a BOSS DD-550. For actual analog, no frills (you like repeats with surprising yet easy to get used to distortion) a Maxon is the way to go.

10. NielsM

NielsM Member

Funny that most people respond with a pedal that's not in the OP list.
    Not that new suggestions are bad, but the list could get very long very fast.

Out of those I would go the El Cap or CC. IMO you spend a more for El Cap but also get more.
    If you ask me which has more value for you money it will probably be the Carbon Copy

11. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I would not call the Strymon no frills!

I think the Maxons would be fine if you don't want modulated delay. If you want modulated delay, Carbon Copy, Echo Puss, Vapor Trail, or DMM of some kind.

buzzp likes this.
  12. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

Yes!

rummy and LaceSensor1 like this.
  13. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Interesting idea going with the aquapuss. Cheaper and will work with my power supply.

Does the aqaupuss have a chorus blended into the delay? How extreme is the chorus? I like the idea of being able to dial this in and out like on the DMM.

I'm a big fan of the way huge pedals, the box, the switch, they are really well designed. I leave two compressors on my rig because I can't bring myself to take the Saffron Squeeze off, even though I've also got an EGO on the board right next to it. I use either or, never both at the same time.

14. Jeric

Jeric Member

I have a DMM 1100 TT arriving today. So I'm partial to the idea of the memory man. If it's a tap tempo delay vs a non-tap tempo delay, I will 9 times out of 10 go for the pedal with more functionality.

15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Greer Black Tiger Delay Device

16. rummy

rummy Member

Actually, it's Echo Puss. There are two knobs dedicated to controlling chorus. They make it easy to dial it in, or remove it all together.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  17. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

:bonk

Does anyone know if the Way Huge stuff is buffered bypass or true bypass?

18. buzzp

buzzp Supporting Member

Not Aqua Puss, that pedal sucks IMO. I have the echo puss on the way because of it's flexibility... it has speed and depth knobs, so you can essentially dial it way way back so you can't really hear it, but it will still be there (I think). Once I get mine I will report back.

For a no frills AMAZING analog delay with NO modulation, look at the Moog MF-delay.

rummy likes this.
  19. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

carbon copy or carbon copy bright