Delay Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott757, May 19, 2008.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I use a delay pedal with a tap switch on it. Looking through the pedal board thread, there are a lot of delays that do not have a tap on them. How do you do it live? Do you play to a click, or do you let the delay count the band into the song? Or do you just play the songs roughly the same speed everytime?

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

A lot of times I set the delay volume low and use it to create more ambiance, rather than using the delay rhythmically (in which case tap tempo is pretty much invaluable).

3. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

I know for sure there are some threads on this subject, I've tried doing a few searches and haven't found one that is detailed very well on this. Although I'm sure there is one for sure. I've also wondered this, or even why bother having a non-tap tempo pedal since most tap based pedals still offer the option of changing tempo manually using a knob.

4. burythemisery

burythemisery Member

well i use three different delays - one with tap tempo option so when i'm playing a song i can just tap that right on with the song, the other is set for ambience so it has long lush delays - and the other is for slap back or making weird noises when i want to.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use two delays, one for deep echo and several repeats, one for mild slapback. Neither of them has tap-tempo. I just use the same settings for gigs. I don't use such an obtrusive delay that it needs to match the tempo, more just for ambience and a little slapback. If you're playing heavily delayed stuff such as the Police or U2, etc, I can see where you'd need the tap. I don't.