Delay Pedal Recommendations Please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ronmail65, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a good delay pedal that will allow me to save at least 2 different sounds and access them with a footswitch. Basically a short (almost reverb) delay and a long delay. I just want a solid, quiet, reliable unit -- don't need a ton of other features and settings.

I was thinking about the Line6 DL4 unit, but the reviews are generally not good with regard to reliability.

What do you recommend?

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

My DL-4 has had no reliability issues but last week I really found out about it's volume issue. I tried putting it back on my board, it lasted 2 songs when I started hearing the volume drop when it's activated. I wasn't happy with it and took it back off and put my classic standby DD-3 back on the board.

Probably you'll get some Boss DD-20 suggestions.

3. jyee

jyee Member

a lot of tgp folks seem to like the danelectro mini pedals, so i'll offer up the PB&J delay. it's got a short/long switch and i think it goes up to 1 second on the long side. i've never tried one so i can't comment on the sound.

4. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

I would buy the dd-20 with a tap tempo pedal, you can save up to 4 and then have a setting set up at the same time (called manual), so 5 presets.
    all can be altered and resaved in two ticks. its very useful and very very precice. I know its digital but it moddels 11 different moddels which all sound kool, its easy to use and to get great sounds.

Aj

5. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

I've wondeful things about the DLS Echotap

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

I'm more of an analog delay person myself, but the DD20 is a great delay in its own right, especially on the functionality side, as you can save presets. :D

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Love the DD-20! Before I got it, I was like "what do I need 4 presets plus a manual setting for?" It's amazing how quickly all those babies filled up

I know a boutique maker that makes a very popular analog delay pedal. He uses a DD-20 cos you can't beat the versatility of the thing (though he uses his own pedal for short analog delay sounds :p)

8. guitarb

guitarb Member

I second that...I own an echotap.....and it works amazingly well

9. konu57

konu57 Member

Well, not very unconventional but the boss DD 20 works for me really really well!

10. mwbrock

mwbrock Member

I really like the analog and tape delay simulations on the DD20. Sometimes I wish it were a bit smaller, but there are a lot of features packed in there. Having 16 seconds of looping is great too.

11. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

EchoTap here. Great Pedal.
    Mitch

12. drolling

drolling Member

Another double delay user here..

I have a few, actually, but minimally require an analogue delay for all the juicy stuff like modulation & self-oscillation, and a digital delay for longer times of 800-1200 ms.

13. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Digidelay

The raves came from this very forum. I wouldn't of believed it, but this pedal is realy quite good, at a very reasonable cost.

I favour the the tape setting with tap tempo .

14. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

I run a Maxon AD-999 and two Boss DD-20 pedals which are linked to a common tap tempo. Tonight I played for over two hours in a cloud of delay and it was beautiful. Go for the DD-20 if you can have only one, otherwise get a nice analog delay to complement your DD-20.

Rick

15. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

+10000000 on the Maxon AD999. I've owned the Diamond Memory Lane, the DL4, Boss DD3, DD5 and DD6, the TRex Replica and have tried out a number of other different delays. The Maxon is the best sounding of them all IMHO hands down. Its a simpler pedal meaning it just does analog delay, no crazy oscillation or loops or presets or anything, but the warmth and sound it produces for my application and ears is far superior to the others. Take it or leave it of course and good luck.

16. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

A fan of Memory Lane here. Also, the mod function is really great (especially at low speed).