Delay Pedal Recs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bryan Dias, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Bryan Dias

Bryan Dias Member

Hi All,

I am in the midst of upgrading and tweaking my pedal board. I am considering going with a couple delay stompboxes to simplify things. I have a Line 6 DL4 and Moogerfooger Delay (MF-104). They are both great but, perhaps, a little impractical (mostly due to size and controlling) for gigging/use on the board.

So, was thinking about a couple options for 2 pedals that can be a "set it and forget option," which is all I would really need. I generally play rock, funk, blues, R&B, touch of jazz, some country, New Orleans, Grateful Dead stuff, if that paints a picture of what I am into.

Was thinking, possibly, a tape echo - Strymon El Capistan, Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Echorec, Wampler Tape Echo, others? And, a more straight-ahead delay - Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail, Way Huge Supa Puss (the bucket brigade concept sounds nice), others in this vein? I lean towards analog (almost everything in the board is/will be), but don't have to be married to it in the right circumstances. I read and have heard positives and negatives about all of the above. My board is not huge, but have a few things on there. So, want to be careful with noise, I suppose (I have read knocks on the Wampler in that regard).

I play various guitars - often a PRS McCarty Korina, couple d'Angelicos (new versions, hollow and semi-hollow) and a Fender Custom Tele. Amps are Fender Twin '65 Reissue, Roland Jazz Chorus 40, and Peavey Delta Blues 210.

Any insights, recs, viewpoints, guidance, complaints, and thoughts welcome. I really appreciate it and thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Bryan

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

Minifooger MF Delay & El Capistan is a hard combo to beat.

Sonically, they compliment each other very well, from my experience.

Since you already have the moogs bigger brother, I'm sure you'll find the MF delay will sound quite familiar.

The cap is just an all around classic and perfect for live and studio use.
    The favorite switch, tap tempo, tonal control, and overall sound quality make it a modern-day classic.

You can cover a lot of ground with these two :aok

LordByron, Bryan Dias and buzzp like this.
  3. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

Check out the Greer black tiger seriously great sound

Bryan Dias likes this.
  4. Bryan Dias

Bryan Dias Member

Thanks Moontrills and Big Mike for the recs! Yes, Moontrills, forgot to mention the Minifooger as an option I checked out. I dig their stuff - good call to consider that one and glad to hear it works well with the Strymon. I will check out the Greer, too. I appreciate it, Gents!

5. buzzp

buzzp Member

I just sold my MF-delay because I'm broke and want to try other stuff, but I will say that the MF-delay is FANTASTIC, and will probably get another one. The drive knob on it is REALLY useful, it's a clean boost and delay.

Bryan Dias likes this.
  6. Bryan Dias

Bryan Dias Member

Thanks, Buzzp. Been checking out the Greer Black Tiger and the Minifooger, thanks to the recs above - tough call. Was already pretty sold on the Strymon (and now more so). Cheers!

7. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

Belle Epoch is hard to beat, especially with single-coils. It does the greatest slapback I've ever heard.

Bryan Dias likes this.
  8. Mincer

Mincer Member

I dig the Vapor Trail's insert jack which allows you to control the volume of the delay, or send it to another effect.

Bryan Dias likes this.
  9. Bryan Dias

Bryan Dias Member

Thanks, Artie Fisk and Mincer. Some tough decisions ahead. I appreciate the input!

10. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Echo Puss sound nice and are simply operated.

Bryan Dias and Stratburst70 like this.
  11. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    The El Cap is definitely one of the best sounding delays I've tried. Combining that and either a Deco or a Dig (or all three) will give your some serious delay / mod mojo. I've got the El Cap (for yummy tape delay) and the Deco (which I use for the tape saturation, slapback, and tape flanging) which I pair with a Korg SDD-3000 (great always-on pre-amp plus killer digital delay) to cover a lot of delay ground on my main board. I'm still considering whether to add the Dig to this combo. It may be a bit overkill, but then again, can you really have too many delay options? ;)

Although it does not get a tremendous amount of respect, on my grab and go mini-board I have a TC Flashback x4 and a TC Flashback single. I am about to swap the Flashback single for an TC Alter Ego single to add a little more tape mojo to my secondary board. The Flashbacks definitely do not sounds a good as the Stymons or the Korg, but they do bring a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Bryan Dias likes this.
  12. Bryan Dias

Bryan Dias Member

Thanks, LordByron for the thoughts and explanation. Thanks, too, Boltagon - was also considering the Supa Puss (much different than Echo Puss?) Cheers!