Delay pedal that can cancel out original signal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bahklava, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

I've been reading up on the potential to achieve an effect similar to double-tracking by setting delay to ~25 ms with a single echo. What I want to know is, can I find a delay pedal that will allow me to play that single echo at ~25 ms without playing the original signal?

Here's why: I want to use a y cable splitter to run two separate signals. One signal will be distorted, while the other will be fairly clean; likewise, one signal will be delayed, while the other won't be. Ultimately, I want to sound like I'm having a clean guitar and a distorted guitar playing together.

Are there any alternative ways to achieve this?

2. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

Deluxe memory man can

3. cheameup

cheameup Member

you could do it with a DD20 in A dry B wet mode .

seperates the 2 outputs to wet and dry

4. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

That's a good point - I'd be perfectly fine if I could get a delay pedal that can simply split the dry and wet signals. Can I make this happen for under $100 used?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

most delays with two outputs do just that, send the dry only out one jack and the dalayed sound only out the other (usually just when they're both plugged in).

6. jordiesaenz

jordiesaenz Member

I'm pretty sure anything in the Memory Man family. I also support yhe Deluxe Memory Boy.

7. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

8. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

The Memory Toy will do just this.

EDIT -

Scratch that only single output DUHHH!

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Delays with a single out can do this, but it would have to have 100% wet only / killdry. However, this would require splitting the signal before the delay pedal. So it might be easier to use a pedal with two outputs like the DD3. However, the DD3 is digital rather than an echo, which is probably ideal since you don't want to color or effect the tone of the delay signal for double tracking (I would suspect).

10. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

I have no problem splitting the signal prior to the delay pedal - just requires a y splitter. You're right on the mark in pointing out that I ought to go for a digital rather than an echo (hadn't thought about that). What the y splitter does for me, though, is it allows me to go with pedals where the wet signal is decent but the bypass signal is crap (ie if the bypass is no good, I can split before the delay and only take the effect from the delay - I'm considering this with the Behringer VM 1).

11. Socrates

Socrates Member

12. DT7

DT7 Member

Flashback is another.

13. wyatt3

wyatt3 Trem-Verb-Vibe, The 3 Kings Silver Supporting Member

You could use a Badger Schism,
    http://www.badgereffects.com/paraxv.html

Two loops in parallel.

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I used to do this with a DD3 about a year ago when I ran a stereo rig. I split the signal (IIRC) with a modulation pedal... probably a TC SCF... I had the DD3 on one side and just plugged the dry out with a 1/4 (just the plug, not going anywhere) and the wet went to one of the amps for a 10-50ms delay.

The Flashback is great, but I believe it would require splitting before hand - I dont think it can do one side wet one side dry even in the slap setting.

I also tried to use a Boss PS (I think 5) for this, it has a short delay available and the option to harmonize (I usually used it a 5th above). The tracking on it sucked though.

To be completely honest, delaying one side works better for creating a spacing effect for your sound (adding width), rather than double tracking. At least in my experience. Even with a slightly different sound and a delay between the two signals, all the nuances are still the same and it just not a convincing double track. Personally I think my modfactor set to chorus in my w/d/w rig sound more like double tracking (kinda triple tracking I guess actually) than anything else I have tried and that was by chance.

PS - one last thing, a trick for 'double' tracking leads that I read about, but never tried, is using an auto correct software on one side, which slightly changes your nuances and creates a bit of stereo imaging as well. This probably only works in the studio though I suspect.

15. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

DE7 if you use a dummy plug :D

16. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

The EHX Memory Boy and Memory Toy both can do 100% wet (delay only, no dry signal). The blend knob does this when set all the way clockwise. Both would be under $100 used, if analog delay is appealing to you. I think they're great.

17. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Anything with a Blend knob, right? My DMM is capable of this

18. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

I was able to find a used Ibanez DE-7 for $55 off Music-Go-Round ($39.99 for the pedal, $15.00 for shipping, and $0.01 for rounding up). According to the manual, the first output for the DE-7 is the delay signal and the second output is the dry signal, so that sounds like it's exactly what I'll need. I'll have to wait and see, though, as I'm afraid that the wet signal might still be the original note plus its delay "echoes"; what I need is a signal that includes only the "echo" without the original note.

Ironically, I figured out that my Akai E2 is perfectly capable of handling this duty. However, I use it for its loop function; since I use that mode so often, and since you can only use one mode at a time, I'm going to need one more pedal to handle either delay or looping. I happened to find a good deal on a delay pedal, while the cheapest looping pedal I could find was a Boss RC-2 fo $130, so it looks like I'll keep the Akai right where it is.

19. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Sounds like a plan. I am pretty sure the DE is effect only on the wet output IF the dry output is used or plugged (as Dan from T1M suggested). Just like using the DD3 I suppose, though I am not as familiar with the DE.

20. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

BOSS RE20 can, but I'm pretty sure all BOSS Delays have the capability.