delay pedal that is non buffered?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by golddillion, Jan 28, 2008.

1. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

I am just about finished with my board and noticed that my Ibanez DE7 delay after my OCD and BYOC trem added a significant presence to the signal that I didn't care for. It didn't matter if the pedal is on or off. I tried a Boss pedal and a Digitech digiverb pedal in the same spot, and they both did the same thing.

I am guessing that a true bypass, non-buffered delay pedal would cure this. Is this correnct? If so, which pedal would fit the bill?

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

TC Vintage Delay
    T-Rex Replica
    Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay
    BYOC Delay

And quite a few more. I think if you search for "true bypass delay" you'll get quite a few results.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Or build a small, true bypass looper and drop the delay into the loop...

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Malekko E600 & E300
    FreakshowFX Digilog

(I've had the pleasure of owning both and would highly recommend the Malekko E600!)

5. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

The Malekko delays are switchable from true bypass to buffered. how cool is that?

6. somedude

somedude Member

Maxon AD999.

FWIW.... when you switch a true bypassed delay on it will buffer the signal and thus change your tone compared to the bypassed tone.

Just warning you before you start beating your head off the wall in frustration.

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

8. DylanGuitar

DylanGuitar Member

I believe the Line 6 DL4 is true bypass.....

9. langdbuild

langdbuild Member

I was looking for a TBP delay that would color my tone minimally. Narrowed the choice down to Cmatmods Deelay or GoudieFX. Both simple, analog voiced, TBP, and reasonably priced. I posted about this and received very positive comments on both. I went with the GoudieFX and am very satisfied. Very "natural" sounding. That said, I use delay somewhat sparingly.

10. iggs

iggs Member

11. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

That looks like a nice unit, however, by the time you add his power supply you're right at $240. Why wouldn't I get the TC Nova Delay at $249? Sure it's digital but doesn't the Nova unit offer some nice analog sounds? The KopyKat does look much simpler but also far less versatile. Is the output from the KopyKat that distinctive from what one could get out of a Nova Delay? I'm just wondering... there are some good options in $250 territory.

12. iggs

iggs Member

You don't have to get the power supply, however, Joe does recommend it. I run it from my regulated 9V 100mA power supply and it works great, I did get the extra power supply just in case.

For me, simplicity was the key. KK uses a digital chip for repeats so I'm not a analog purist by any means, all I care is if it sounds good or not and if it has the features I'm looking for or not. I really did not have any need for all the bells and whistles that Nova offers. Plus, even when bypassed, Nova runs the signal through the AD/DA conversion. I realize that's a lengthy discussion in itself and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that ... just that I preferred to get something simple, with the exact features I need, great sound and TB.

Price wise, I think the KK is of a great value when taken into consideration that it's built by hand and per order vs. mass-produced Nova (not saying there's anything wrong with mass production, just the economics of it are quite different). Plus, Joe's builds are immaculate, well designed with high quality components.

13. CC GunZ

CC GunZ Member

Are any of the delays listed above non-buffered? I'm having the same issue with my delay brightening up my tone (a lot) when it is engaged. I assume the buffering is causing this. I'm using it after a fuzz.... I'd like to be able to go guitar > fuzz > non-buffered TB delay > amp.