Delay pedal with remote control switching feature (T-rex Replica?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rabbit, Oct 5, 2005.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

I´m looking for a delay that can be footswitched remotely (from where I stand and play) so I can use it in the fx loop and do not need to tear long cables to the amp and back to the pedalboard.

A 19” mulit-fx unit with midi switcher comes to mind. But I thought a pedal would be more flexible, I could put it on a pedalboard if playing through an amp with no fx loop or just grab it together with an od for a jam session. So I am looking for a delay pedal that can be in any way switched on remotely.

What about the midi feature on the T-rex Replica?

The manual (a pdf they have on their website) reads the midi function allows you to control Tap/Tempo and On/Off. But how does that work and how do you like it? I again have been stunned by the quality of the T-rex – it´s so damn good. I´m really caught in the trap since it´s the only one I really like up to date but it´s too expensive.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

Tough one, I know. :)

3. vinni

vinni Member

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

Boss DD20 will do that, I believe.

5. shigihara

shigihara Member

this one is a Replica in a TC case... :D

6. shigihara

shigihara Member

7. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thanks vinni, hipfan and Paul!

What do you think about this? Lehle D-Loop-Midi in the fx loop, with a delay pedal in one of the loops and controlled by a Midi switch. D-Loop-Midi + midi board + delay unit would be about the same total amount as the T-rex if not even more, but with the option to put other time based effects in the remaining loop.
    Disadvantage: Separate power supply and a rack drawer are needed.

@Paul: Great stuff you have there, although I think this is your old board, right? Is the D-Loop on your board (shown on the T-rex hp) the midi version? And concerning the T-rex: Am I right to assume, that you, using the midi feature, dial in your setting, then press the store button and you have it stored on one of your midi channels? I´m sorry, I just don´t have a clue about midi.

Or is it just like this?:
    Does it not matter, concerning signal loss, to tear long cables between the fx loop and the pedalboard cause the signal from the preamp is strong enough that you won´t notice any signal loss?

8. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yes, it will. But man, this thing is hard to find!!! Most shops here just carry the Boss single pedal line of effects. Of course I would like to check one out before buying.

Any thoughts on the Lehle midi looper idea?

(Sorry for coming up with this old thread again but … no delay yet)

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The only reason I regret buying my dd-20 is that now I spend more time playing with that thing then I do working on my technique!

It can be turned on and off remotely

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yeah, that´s a general problem with including effects. At some point you tend to play and experiment with them a lot and tend to listen more to the effects in your sound than to your tone IMHO. That´s why I would rather like a simple delay (up to the specs of the DD20) instead of a muliteffects unit.
    Effects should serve but not dominate your tone, I think.

11. vinni

vinni Member

This will work for sure....but....
    You cannot control the speed!

And I used long cables (30ft) send/return to rhe FX-loop.
    I had no problems doing so.

Vinni