Delay pedal, your recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SRVYJM, Dec 18, 2009.

1. SRVYJM

SRVYJM Member

TGPer's, I'm looking for a new Delay pedal. I've got a Boss Digital Delay DD3 that I'm very unhappy with, I'm looking for a new delay pedal and I'm wondering what you all recommend.

What I don't like about the DD3 is it's very harsh sounding, and extreamly difficult to set so it doesn't just muddy up everything. Very unnatural sounding. I'm looking at the Line 6 DL4, but it sure takes up a lot of room on my pedal board, so I'm considering the Echo Park. I'm looking for something that sounds like Philip Sayce's delay here, knowing it's a real tape delay, what comes closest to that sound or Andy Timmons Electro Harmonix's pedals without breaking the bank. Something analog and more warm and organic sounding. Any suggestions?

2. hammersig

hammersig Member

Carbon Copy, you're welcome.

3. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I have been on the search for a great delay- Price being the factor, I would recommend the EHX Memory Toy- It is $79 analog and sounds great. Also if you look around Toadworks makes an incredible delay pedal called the Redux. I was fortunate enough to get one at a great price. The Redux is digital with an analog feel. The Carbon Copy is a popular one, but I didn't like it as much as I do the Redux. Good Luck

4. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i haven't played one, but the Boss RE-20 may be something you'd be interested in.

5. gendefect

gendefect Supporting Member

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but the Empress SuperDelay is an excellent delay with a relatively small footprint considering all you get (tap tempo, a zillion different modes, including tape echo and looper, etc). If that's still too big (or expensive), you should look at a Skreddy Echo (though be prepared to wait awhile before you get one) or the Analogman ARDX20. Good luck!

6. Biggelzworth

Biggelzworth Supporting Member

+1 On the Superdelay. I have tried a bunch of stuff with tap tempo (Dl4, timefactor, Diamond ML, TRex, and the Boss DD stuff). The Empress won.

7. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I love my Echo Park, and it does a tape echo model that is very, very much like what my old EP-3 sounded like. My experience seems to be contrary to most in that my EP-3 rolled off the lows on repeat, it also did on the highs but to a much, much lesser extent. The Echo park, like my EP-3, has repeats that sound more like a band pass filter, with more of the highs in the repeats. My EP-3 was not in the best condition, it worked okay but had a ton of wow and flutter and had some real quirks about it, but I never got it fixed because I liked those quirks.

The Echo Park does a better job of capturing the character of the wow and flutter than any other pedal I've tried. Where most basically emulate it with something that sounds like a chorus, the Echo Park really does nail it, at least in comparison to my echoplex (which I sold, sadly, because the L6 did such a good job of emulating :facepalm). I like the buffer in it quite a lot, which is important as I use trails on my echo. This is a feature that I wish was selectable on every echo, and in fact has been a deal killer for me on many occassions.

Some down sides (not for me, I love these things): It boosts your volume when it's on by a fair amount (I believe someone measured it at 2.5db). A lot of people had complained about the tube echo model in the DL4 cutting volume, which I only experienced with my newer DL4, so maybe this was their way of compensating for it.

It is brighter than what you may be looking for if you want a typical tape echo emulation. It seems to capture more of the quirky characters of tape echo than the tape saturation. Judging by what you said in your post, this may turn you off a bit.

However, it is an absolutely gorgeous echo, and is really versatile especially for its price and footprint. No matter what is on my board some iteration of this particular line 6 echo model will be on there, because it's an absolutely integral part of my sound. The L6 stays on my board also because unlike many digital echoes I've tried, it has TONS of character. That being said, I'd love to try an Empress or Skreddy, or prolly a million others. Echo is the stuff.

8. jellyroll

jellyroll Member

Analogman ARDX20. 2 in 1 delay and sound quite amazing. Kicked the MXR Carbon Copy and Maxon AD999 offa my board!

9. jw112

jw112 Member

Philip Sayce often uses a dl4

10. Jaybird03

Jaybird03 Member

I own 2 dd-3s and like them a lot. One of them has the Keeley mod which gives three different settings, or types of delay. I just got a MXR carbon Copy (Analog)and love it. It is nicer than the dd-3s and has a small compact footprint. It is not real cheap, but in my mind worth every cent. Try one out. GC has a 30 day return policy, so if it is not for you, it can be returned.

11. GibsonSVG19

GibsonSVG19 Member

Does it matter if it's true Analog or maybe a hybrid, between analog and digital? I might be wrong but I think the Empress SD is a hybrid. It still is very good. There is also EHX Memory Man, Skreddy Echo (long-waiting list), or the JHS Pink Panther (relatively unknown). Those are some analog pedals I can get off the top of my head.

12. Thazy

Thazy Member

That's a cool video. I have a Carbon Copy and they work great, I do have a Hardwire on the way too.

13. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

check out the soon coming deluxe memory boy

14. kidderminsterbro

kidderminsterbro Member

Check out the Wampler Faux Tape Echo.
    Burgerman666 has a great demo on you tube.

15. BBender

BBender Member

OceanEFX Vintage Echo

16. zachman

zachman Senior Member

* Where do you run your pedals in your signal chain?
    * Do you use other pedals with it?
    * What are the other pedals, if applicable?
    * What amp are you running them through?

17. modernage

modernage Member

If you're looking for a pedal that has a small footprint, and a small price tag I'd go with:

EHX Memory Boy
    Malekko Echo 616
    MXR Carbon Copy

If your wallet won't complain I'd say Empress Super Delay or Skreddy Echo.

18. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Though not a small pedal, the Damage Control Timeline is the most analog and warm sounding digital delay pedal I've owned. Check out some of the demos on Youtube. It is an great, versatile pedal that has definitely ended my delay search.

19. FXMonkey

FXMonkey Member

+1 on the carbon copy

20. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

Obviously this depends on what type of delay you're looking for (analog vs. digital, simple vs. feature-rich, etc), but as far as getting the most for your money (and not having to spend much money!) the Carbon Copy cannot be beaten.