Delay pedals....again

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drummondrs, Jan 4, 2006.

1. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I recently took the plunge and when for a Memory Lane. However, its not working properly. I have a feeling its the power supply but I gotta check out all the other options if I do need to get a new pedal. I am considering turning back to use the DL-4 again. Can any of you give me a reason not to?

2. gener

gener Member

what are the symptoms of it not working properly?

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

give diamond a call. I've called twice and both times I spoke to really friendly guys that were in no rush to get off the phone.

4. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

When plug in to mix/delay I don't get any delay, unless and crank the knobs but then I get seriously loud UFO sounds. Then in delay only, I get delay but I get no sound when the pedal is not engaged. I will probably send Diamond an email to see what they think.

5. mknappe

mknappe Member

Hi! If I can jump in here - I think I know what the problem is... there is a mechanical bypass mechanism on the delay only jack that connects together when there is no plug inserted to pass the delay signal on to the mix/direct output. When you plug into the delay only jack, that mechanism separates so that no delay signal reaches the mix/direct jack. We've had a couple of jacks that have gotten some oxidation on them so they don't connect properly when closed. It's a fairly easy fix - open up the Memory Lane, cut a small 1/4" wide strip of paper, dip it in some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, insert a plug into the delay only jack, place the strip between the now open bypass contacts, remove the plug so the contacts close on the piece of paper, then gently remove the paper to clean the contacts. This should do the trick!

It is correct operation for no sound to come out the delay only jack when in true bypass - it was designed that way so it would work properly in a parallel effects loop like on a Mesa Rectifier. The upcoming ST-MIX will send bypass signal to both amps in a stereo setup.

Sorry for the hassle, let me know if that fixes the problem.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals

6. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Thanks, I will give that a shot. But is there anything else I can use other than rubbing alcohol? I don't have any on hand.

7. mknappe

mknappe Member

You can also try a piece of very fine sandpaper, pulled just once through. Even pulling a dry strip of computer paper between the contacts may be enough.

Cheers,

Mike

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

How about some Aqua Velva?

9. danny60

danny60 Member

I'd suggest buying a can of deoxit..... I have raised dead pedals with it:)

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Deoxit is the best for this sort of thing, IMO.