Delay pedals and tone changes of the pedal in front...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steelplayer, Jul 26, 2008.

1. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Need some advice gang. It seems that every delay pedal I've tried tends to greatly change the tone of the OD or distortion pedal in front of it. When the delay is kicked in, the pedals in front of it become thin and nasal with what seem to be a huge treble boost. There's no tone change when the delay is used just by itself. Is this a function of specific delay pedals and should I be looking for a specific one, or is this something one just lives with and eq's around? I'm going into a fairly clean tube amp with no fx loop, and using pedals for dirt.

Thx for any advice and info!

2. Roobin

Roobin Member

What delay & ODs? The G Major?

It could be a buffer issue - you might have one in the delay that affects the tone.

3. 4styx

4styx Member

Analog delays seem to have the opposite effect(of what your describing) in my experience.

4. Structo

Structo Member

If your amp has an effects loop, that's where you want your time based effects.
    All others in the front end.

5. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Lately I've been using a Thundertweak Delay, a great sounding analog voiced digital delay. It's great except for the issue with the dirt and od pedals. Not sure if it has a buffer, but that's probably a good starting point. I had a Visual Sound H20 a while back that did the same thing. Seems like I get the same results with all the pedals I put in front of it: Zendrive, KOT, Rat etc.

thx for the responses guys!

6. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Aight... after a systematic process of elimination, it indeed turned out to be a buffer issue! Thx Roobin for getting me thinking in that direction! :AOK

My volume pedal is buffered -totally forgot about that- and was a tone trimpot that was turned all the way off. Crazy odd that this just had an effect when a delay pedal was kicked in with only certain stompboxes. Quick and easy fix. Man, just goes to show you need to look in even the least obvious spots when trouble shooting the rig.