Delay plugin with trails?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Jun 2, 2015.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Is there a good delay plugin out there (AU or VST) that allows the delays to trail after it is switched off?

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Why not just turn it off after the last repeats fade? I don't think "trails" really applies to a plug-in. It's more of a mechanical switch/effects pedal function, isn't it?

3. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Same reason I couldn't do that with a regular pedal - the repeats don't fade until I quit playing, or the signal into the delay is cut. I'm using this live and controlling it with midi. I would like the trails to continue once I turn the effect off, while I'm still playing.

I don't see any reason it couldn't be implemented in software. In pedals it's usually a digital DSP function, not any function of the mechanical switch, or pedal itself so it's basically software anyway.

4. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Any delay plugin can have trails if you insert it on an aux bus and automate the send level to it.

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

The problem I was having with this approach was not being able to get enough of the wet signal mixed in with my dry guitar signal. I was running my delays and reverbs through separate return tracks in Ableton, but doing this, if I set the delay mix at 100%, and the send level from my audio track at 100% I'm still only getting 50% mix of the delay with dry signal max.

I feel like there's probably a better approach and a solution with what I already have that I just haven't though of yet...

6. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Maybe set the send to pre-fader and turn the original track all the way down? Then you'd hear only the delay bus, and could control the blend with the plugin's mix parameter.

Or any inserted delay plugin with an input level that drops to silence would work too.

aleclee likes this.
  7. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Don't the POD Farm modules have an input level control?

I might have found another solution using Ableton's effects rack and using the chain selector